Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

DerekSlide

108 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)

Oh, joy - he's kicked off the subject of having an Off Topic forum where you can bang on about anything you like.

It's in Suggestions for GN

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 14/07/2008 3:33 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It's good to see some of our senior members explaining that we've tried the idea before and it hasn't worked.

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 14/07/2008 7:30 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

My world has been sort of up side down for a few months so all I get to do is lurk and post very little but it is threads like this and the poster in reference that provide great reading pleasure.

On a side note, Mikespe stopped e-mailing me about a month ago. I guess there is a god. :twisted:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 15/07/2008 3:53 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I hope things get turned rightside up for you soon!

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 15/07/2008 6:22 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hey Nick, I'm glad you were able to teach this old dog some new tricks! :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 16/07/2008 1:01 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Oh, no, now Derek's hoping to teach Nick about computers. This should go up in the "Best DS Post Ever" thread, really.
https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=40534

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 16/07/2008 2:07 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I have no idea what set me off on that rant, but I do feel better.

Posted : 16/07/2008 3:26 pm
(@alangreen)

Class - it's not often you see someone put their CV on the line. More power to your elbow mate.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 16/07/2008 8:14 pm
(@davidhodge)

You know, I don't know why but I was actually going to start a new thread about this... Talk about giving too much attention where it doesn't belong...

Anyway. I come on this evening and find this thread:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40553

So I moved it to EL and sent our budding genius of the slide guitar the following:
Derek

This is to let you know that I deleted your "rant" thread.

You've been at Guitar Noise long enough to realize that what makes this place a community is by going out of our way to not tear things down. You have trouble on another forum, leave it there. Don't bring it here.

If you have a problem with what I've done, PM me and let me know.

Peace

David

No, it's not all that acerbic a diatribe as far as infantile diatribes go, but certainly not something you post after being told point blank that we don't do rants here. Maybe he thinks we meant everyone else doesn't do rants here...

Just keeping you all in the loop.

Carry on.

Peace

Posted : 17/07/2008 12:33 am
(@davidhodge)

I keep forgetting he lives here...

Just got this in my inbox:
Will do thanks David.

Okay, keep it moving. Nothing to see here...

Peace

Posted : 17/07/2008 12:56 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Gotta admit, Derekslide seems to have a knack for being very annoying.

It is not so much that he posts a lot, it is the utter stupidity of the questions he asks. He posted today and said he plays one song well, but another song poorly, then asks Why? :roll:

It is very difficult for a natural smart a$$ like me to answer him. I mean, he is just asking for it. It is like holding up a bullseye in front of yourself at an archer's convention.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 19/07/2008 5:58 pm
(@davidhodge)

And that's apparently what's happening on other boards.

I don't think he would be anyway near as annoying if he wasn't trying to be a lot more than he is - his last post on "Old Friend" for instance, he says that his teacher says he's not playing "half the riffs," which he then translates into "but it's all good speak" as "missing a few notes."

At heart, he seems to be a phenomenally insecure person who is taking guitar playing as both hero worship and a way to be a hero. For as much as he talks about feeling the blues, I get the feeling that none of this is about music at all as much as it is about him becoming someone. I know I've said it before: his posts aren't as much questions as pleas for validation and commendation. And I know he's not the only one who posts this way. The Internet is really on its way to being one big, live Interactive Oprah show. He just really seems to be the poster child, though.

I recently sent him, at his request, transcriptions of the Robert Johnson recording of Crossroads Blues as well as B.B. King's Rock Me Baby. Can't wait to hear his reaction when he sees how complicated they are...

Peace

Posted : 19/07/2008 6:27 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

They aren't so complicated if you only play half the riffs, or even half of half the riffs.

He posts a bit more here than on other boards, but I checked out his profile and he's doing six a day at Kirk's and 5 a day at Big Road Blues

Posted : 19/07/2008 7:49 pm
(@davidhodge)

Forgive me, but I've suddenly got this urge to say "hmmmmm," so here I go:
hmmmmmmmmmm

Okay, out of my system now. Next on the list, adding an "s" to the end of my name...

Peace

Posted : 20/07/2008 3:06 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Next time he asks for some tab, say you only have the original sheet music, but it's more for an intermediate player..............

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 20/07/2008 7:24 am
Page 3 / 8