Clear all

DerekSlide

108 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

He's previously mentioned on here having problems with finger swelling, which he blamed on being on a "diredic" (presumably a diuretic.) I think it more likely he's having swelling from the problem necessitating the diuretic but be that as it may, he's just said something on Big Road Blues about never being able to work because of his bum heart. And he's said he's never lived away from home. I'm getting a picture of an adult with congenital and developmental problems. I'm not sure how to deal with him, really. He can be quite annoying at times, and then he'll say something very nice and gracious thanking those who've helped him. Mostly I try to skip over without answering him unless he asks something I think can be of general interest and use, and if he PMs me with a direct question I try to answer him kindly, but very briefly and directly. And there's no way I'll ever again give him any recommendation about what to buy!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 21/07/2008 3:50 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

And there's no way I'll ever again give him any recommendation about what to buy!

Derek has PM'd me several times this week asking for gear advice. As you might know, I suggested a solid state amp like the Roland JC-120 for his acoustic/electric guitar. He started asking me all kinds of questions about it. I've never owned one myself, although I had a friend in a band who owned one many years ago, so I am familiar with them. I told him everything I know about the amp, but finally I told him that it really might not be the amp for him as those things are beasts, I think they weigh over 80 lbs.

Then he wrote me and asked me for the best "neck heavy" guitar, somehow he thinks this is good. I wrote him back that this is not considered a good thing, as soon as you let go of the neck it slumps on you. He also thought the SG was a hollow-body guitar.

Then he asked me about crossovers causing impedence. :roll:

He's a nice guy, and I have written him back everytime. Today he asked me what guitar to buy. I told him very briefly about some of the popular guitars like Strats, Teles, LPs, SGs, and even 335 style guitars. But I told him to go down and personally play many guitars and find one that sounds and feels good to him.

I don't think Derekslide is the sharpest crayon in the box, but he seems like a nice (and very lonely) guy. I am glad Guitar Noise is such a friendly site, this poor guy must really get a lot of abuse at other sites. He is harmless. And who knows? I think the guy might really become a good guitar player. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 24/07/2008 6:05 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

After all that, he has started a thread on building himself a Strat from guitarfetish parts, instead of his $2000 superaxe.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 24/07/2008 6:19 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Oh, he's still writing me, and still thinks an SG is a hollow-body guitar. :roll:

I dunno, all this talk about spending $2000 on a guitar is probably just talk and nothing more.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 24/07/2008 7:22 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'm with you Wes.

If we can help him, we can help anyone. And who knows, he may be asking some questions other newbies may be afraid to ask for fear of sounding stupid.

Posted : 24/07/2008 8:41 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

He's written me about 6 PMs today. Now we are talking strictly about SGs. He said he didn't want to purchase a 61' Reissue because that would be copying Derek Trucks. I wrote back and said that Derek's guitars are probably modified, as well as all his other equipment. I explained that a similar guitar would help in getting a similar tone, but many other factors like amp, pedals, and even studio effects go into his sound.

So, I told him to get the Standard SG, or even the Faded SG and save some money.

He writes back and says no, if he's going to buy one, it's going to be the '61 Reissue. This was all of 3 minutes after he wrote me saying he didn't want to buy the '61. :roll:

I dunno, this reminds me of when a little puppy followed me home when I was a kid. I think I own Derekslide now. :D

Posted : 24/07/2008 9:23 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sorry Wes....

Have you noticed that even in here he generates a four page post?

Posted : 24/07/2008 9:55 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Latest thing over on BRB, he's been asking for recommendations on wood bodied resos, and says he's going to buy a Crafters of Tennessee spider. Just so y'all know. :D

Posted : 25/07/2008 12:20 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Is there anyway I can get DerekSlide updates sent directly to my mobile phone? :D

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 25/07/2008 12:55 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Is there anyway I can get DerekSlide updates sent directly to my mobile phone? :D
That'd blow your bandwidth in no time, Paul.

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 25/07/2008 6:34 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Derekslide was the real reason we needed to upgrade the server.

Posted : 25/07/2008 9:45 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Perhaps we should have just upgraded our content filter instead.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 25/07/2008 9:51 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Derek's now assumed the role of the seasoned vet offering expert advice on guitar selection and learning slide guitar.

Posted : 26/07/2008 12:25 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Oh boy..............

He's just added a new thread, asking help on standard tuning. He's trying to play Hell's Bells and says it sounds like crap, but sounds fine in dropped whatever-he-plays-in. Number6 gives him a long explanation of possibilities and I asked if he was playing the same as a piece of tab I posted (I didn't like to ask if he was playing the same patterns as in dropped-whatever...).

He replies to both of us, then says "I probably mis-tuned, like I always do".

There are days, when patience is not enough........................ :D :D :D

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 26/07/2008 11:40 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I think Nick deserves a medal for the gentle way he's trying to socialize that boy. It just doesn't appear to be taking though. It seems like whatever thought passes through his head finds its way almost immediately to the forum.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 04/08/2008 5:47 pm
Page 4 / 8