Clear all

I Moved

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

I've seen other threads about moving and now I can post my own. The good news is I've already finished moving. After 9 years in China I've broken free and moved further south to Viet Nam. I spent months deciding whether or not this was what I wanted to do, and then the planning and execution all came together in about 15 days.

The best part of it all is that I was able to bring my three cats with me. I don't think anybody has ever brought cats to Viet Nam before and that proved to be difficult but not impossible. What most people don't know is that Tiger, Butterfly and Lucky all play an important role in keeping Guitar Noise alive. They're always nearby when I'd rather not bother - never failing to make work and home life more pleasant.

I expect it will take me a little while to get settled in. (I'm sleeping on a friend's couch for the time being. [That feels strange at my age.]) But with a freer and unfettered Internet, I'm in a position to get a lot more quality work done.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 20/10/2007 9:17 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Now, there's a far better chance of me meeting up with you - I'm a big fan of SE Asia (I'll be in Thailand again for 3 weeks from the middle of November). We keep meaning to go to Vietnam, but it always seems to get put off in favour of something else....................

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 20/10/2007 11:08 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Congratulations on the move. My brother in-law makes documentaries, usually related to culinary culture. He says Vietnam is one of the most interesting places he's visited.

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 20/10/2007 11:10 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

Graham, maybe I'll jet down to Thailand sometime this winter just to meet you. I feel ashamed that my cats have been to Thailand and I haven't. They flew to Bangkok for a night and then on to Hanoi. I just flew directly here.

Tim, I have to say that some of the best food in the world is here. None of it seems weird to me, just fresh and healthy ingredients for a change.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 20/10/2007 11:30 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Well thanks much for all of your help with the site during the move. Next time you move though can you check with me first so I can direct you to a country with high speed internet access? :D

We have a little Vietnam here in DC and the food and smells make you think you are in heaven. Vietnamese Spring Rolls, (not summer rolls) a nice bowl of authentic pho and some iced coffee, ....where's a paper towel? I'm having a Pavlovian response.

Oddly enough right before coming to guitarnoise I was on the CNN site with pictures of the Canadian sexual predator being arrested. I know you are in Vietnam, but have you noticed any changes in the way the locals treat foreigners? I was going to say you could say you were from the USA, but they might be happier having a Canadian, predator or not.

Send pics of your new digs when you can and let me know if you need anything done on the site. Maybe a brief tutorial sometime so if you are out of pocket, or if it's 0-dark-thirty I can put things back together again.

Posted : 20/10/2007 12:10 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

I haven't been paying attention to the local news, so I don't know what the local take is on Canadian pervs. I think the sensationalistic daily updates is more of a CNN thing.

From what I gather, they hate Chinese people here more than Americans. Everyone seems so young here, that most people won't even have memories of the war. I haven't seen any animosity towards Americans. All my foreign friends here are American and they all seem to be doing very well.

We definitely have to figure out a way to get the site up and running again when something goes wrong and I'm sleeping. But every problem in recent months has been a new one that I haven't dealt with before. It's kind of hard to plan for the unexpected when I don't know what to expect.

And high speed Internet? We'll have to see about that. My general plan is to keep moving south. Saigon, Singapore, Bali.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 20/10/2007 12:29 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Paul,
It'd be great to see you. We're going to Hat Yai via Bangkok, then on to Koh Lipe, which is hard on the Malaysian border. When we tire of backpacker-world, we'll move on up to Koh Phi-Phi for a more Flashpacker lifestyle. Last stop will be Bangkok for 2 or 3 days of shopping (and some heavenly Dim Sum), then back to das Vaterland via Hong Kong, where we'll have more or less a day to savour the food.

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 20/10/2007 1:40 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Being an American and an aged one at that I got caught in a "bad draft" in 1966 and ended up in Vietnam for 15 months. Can't say that my visit was all that perfect having to carry that damn gun around all the time but I do have some fond memories of the country and people.

It has been a dream of mine to go back and am getting close to doing that. My first wife was not up to visiting there but my current wife is more up to the idea.

I did get a couple of good R&R's out of it to Thailand and Australia. Have been back to both places but at the time it was not easy for an American to get into Vietnam so didn't get to go.

Enjoy your new home...

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 20/10/2007 4:31 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

II have some Internet friends, Lance and Donna Harrison. I met them here on GN early last year.Donna and lance spent last winter in Cambodia, South Vietnam and other points in the region. Mostly backpacking. They sent me hundreds of pictures, Its a beautifully country.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 23/10/2007 8:37 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

One of my colleagues is in Vietnam right now.

A Finnish friend on a shooting board likes to vacation down that way. Sure looks pretty from his pictures.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 23/10/2007 9:36 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'm still packing!! I could NEVER move that quickly! But, yes, I am a pack rat and now I'm paying for it! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 23/10/2007 10:45 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin
Topic starter

I suppose I could have left everything behind when I moved. Perhaps that's what I'll do next time. If I can't carry it, maybe it''s not worth keeping.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 23/10/2007 11:13 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I suppose I could have left everything behind when I moved. Perhaps that's what I'll do next time. If I can't carry it, maybe it''s not worth keeping.

Well, any box that hasn't been unpacked when you move next, gets tossed!

Keep heading south and you'll get to New Zealand, which is a nice place too.

Posted : 24/10/2007 12:34 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If I can't carry it, maybe it''s not worth keeping.
Paul, just let me know where you leave the Fender Twin Reverb :D :D :D :D

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 24/10/2007 12:54 pm