Ignore posts option

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nick--
I gather you're inclined to add the feature. I can see how it might be helpful. Is there any chance it has a downside though? I can imagine we might have a thread where suggestions get repeated and some members get annoyed because they realize they're being "ignored" or don't respond when someone asks questions. Clearly mods can't ignore anyone -- that stands to reason -- but would some members opt to ignore mods?
I've never seen the feature but I don't frequent that many boards lately.

Again, I can see where it could be a helpful feature but it sort of strikes me as inconsistent with the spirit of community we try to foster here.

Oh well, there I go again, complicating things!

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 20/01/2007 12:28 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'm absolutely positive he is talking about Rahul.

I do see your point.

Posted : 20/01/2007 1:18 am
(@davidhodge)

I know that no one will read this ( :wink: ) but I think the "ignore" option is is a really bad idea.

Besides what Tim mentions, there is the whole issue of community. Either we're open to all and deal with what that means or we become a country club. I think that we can't have it both ways on this issue. So someone has to scroll past a post, what's the deal? How more inconvenient can that be?

I may be in the minority here, but I can't see any positives to enabling such an option, unless giving folks the opportunity to put themselves on a separate plane of reality from the rest of the world has become a positive thing.

Vent over.

Peace

Posted : 20/01/2007 1:57 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I concur, the Ignore feature just causes confusion. If there is someone who should not be posting, we'll have Nick terminate her/him.

Posted : 20/01/2007 2:07 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Yup..It will just bring out the curmudgeon in us all. I'm with David about the community thing :D I just don't think we need this--ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 20/01/2007 3:37 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

We already have the feature - just don't reply. 8)
If you feel really ignorant, you just don't read, either. :wink:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 20/01/2007 8:22 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It might just cut down on moderating. We have a few members that probably cause more disagreements then others. If I listed the top five it would go something like:

1. Rahul
2. Rahul
3. Rahul
4. Rahul
5. Arjen

Then Hilch. If the users choose not to see those 5 posters it may ease tensions somewhat. Not that things are so bad right now. Knock wood. Hold on, somebody is at the door. Be right back.

Hmm nobody was there.

Besides it isn't a requirement to ignore anyone. I don't think the function would be used much unless somebody was so pissed off that they really needed to ignore the poster. It would be a turn it on when angry, turn it off when cooled down. I think I've used it once on another board for an obvious troll. We don't have any now. Knock wood. Hold on there's somebody at the door again.

Hmm, darn kids. Nobody there again.

Posted : 20/01/2007 12:51 pm
(@alangreen)

I'm with Graham; except for the elephant's butt, that is.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 20/01/2007 2:01 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I agree, not a good idea. On another site we found that it caused more confusion and lots of double posting since people were ignoring others and by default missing answers and questions.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 20/01/2007 3:11 pm