Clear all

Religious Reference

30 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Our favorite son Rahul complained about the use of the name "Vishnu" - the multi-armed god. Jason Brunn made the edits, and I cleaned up the posts.

... but I'm annoyed with Rahul about this. The reference to this god was neutral to positive, but Rahul felt it was improper for a non-beliver to use the word/name.

Comments? Should I tell Rahul not to make policy decisions on our boards? Or did he properly invoke the no religion clause?

-Laz

Posted : 29/08/2006 4:26 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Then Rahul would be prohibited from using any reference to God, Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed and any deity other than Vishnu.

His complaint is, IMHO, completely OTT. It is the first time that I've ever heard anyone complain about a non-believer using the name, just because he's a non-believer.

Should you wish to be REALLY, REALLY pedantic, you might just ask him to refrain from references such as this:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=244106&highlight=#244106 - scroll down a little.
I think the term "Oh, my God" (OMG) is rightfully a Christian epithet and shouldn't be abused by non-believers.

Those who live in glass houses, etc. ......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 29/08/2006 4:51 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Rahul is a fucking pain in the ass dickhead.

Posted : 29/08/2006 5:26 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Its all about tolerance :wink: But then I guess we don't want to start a religious war here on GN. If it offends Rahul I suppose we should accommodate him to some degree, but I too find it sort of annoying :? religion is a funny thing :roll: --ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 29/08/2006 5:28 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

How does Rahul know that Jason is a non-believer? Did it come up in the post or is Rahul jumping to conclusions? I only ask because one of my friend's daughters married a man from India and converted to, and is a practicing Hindu. Just because she's from America and her name is Christy doesn't make her less Hindu or less of a believer than someone from India named Rahul. IMHO.

I'll grant you that Jason probably is NOT a practicing Hindu and probably IS a non-believer, but, did Rahul actually KNOW this or did he SUPPOSE it?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 29/08/2006 7:41 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

How does Rahul know that Jason is a non-believer? Did it come up in the post or is Rahul jumping to conclusions? I only ask because one of my friend's daughters married a man from India and converted to, and is a practicing Hindu. Just because she's from America and her name is Christy doesn't make her less Hindu or less of a believer than someone from India named Rahul. IMHO.

I'll grant you that Jason probably is NOT a practicing Hindu and probably IS a non-believer, but, did Rahul actually KNOW this or did he SUPPOSE it?

Rahul wasn't all that clear as to his reasoning, but he wrote out Vishnu (as opposed to the god who can not be named) in his response, so I inferred that it was OK for him to write it, but not Jason. Perhaps I misunderstood the specific.

Posted : 29/08/2006 8:28 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

EB's points are right on the mark. Rahul couldn't have known what Jason believes.

Why don't you write Rahul and ask him what's going on. I'd tell him that the reference clearly wasn't disparaging and that's why you're surprised.

Was the post starting a religious discussion? We do want to avoid those. But otherwise I'm puzzled about why Rahul would object. So far as I know, there's no prohibition in Hinduism against using divine names. Maybe Rahul's becoming a fundamentalist and is out of the mainstream in his own faith.

I think he should explain his objection. If there's no reasonable explanation, then he was being trollish and in the wrong.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 30/08/2006 10:18 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Lord Voldemort.

There, I said it.

Oddly enough when I was born my last name Valdemar. Even more odd my father's last name was Caraway. That's what you get for being a love child.

Nicholas Valdemar. Sounds like Harry Potter.
Nicholas Caraway. Sounds like The Great Gatsby.

Could I be the half blood prince?

Please don't use my name on the forum pages unless you believe.

Posted : 30/08/2006 12:31 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Naaah, I don't think you want to be the half blood prince. He is either gonna be dead or in prison in book 7 unless of course Dumbledore comes back to life like it was a bad joke. Besides, Harry never liked him.

On to the subject at hand. I think we should use this as an opportunity to pull the "can't use that name" every time he makes reference to one god or another.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 30/08/2006 1:57 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

EB's points are right on the mark. Rahul couldn't have known what Jason believes.

Why don't you write Rahul and ask him what's going on. I'd tell him that the reference clearly wasn't disparaging and that's why you're surprised.

Was the post starting a religious discussion? We do want to avoid those. But otherwise I'm puzzled about why Rahul would object. So far as I know, there's no prohibition in Hinduism against using divine names. Maybe Rahul's becoming a fundamentalist and is out of the mainstream in his own faith.

I think he should explain his objection. If there's no reasonable explanation, then he was being trollish and in the wrong.

That's the strange part, Jason said something like: "If I was Vishnu, I'd play guitar, drums and bass - a one man band."

That's all there was. I had to ponder a bit before I even got the reference.

Since Jason didn't object (although I'd back him if he did), I just cleaned up the mess.

Let it sleep for now.

Posted : 30/08/2006 4:13 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hey, hey, hey

This thread is about me. Don't get off topic.

Nick "Rahul" Valdemar

Posted : 30/08/2006 5:45 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I believe Vishnu is often portrayed with many arms -- perhaps Rahul thought Jason was poking fun at the representation by taking it literally instead of understanding it symbolically. I could see how that might be. It does, however, make me wonder what Rahul thinks about the cover for Axis Bold as Love with Hendrix portrayed as a Hindu deity? Should I start a new thread?

Just kidding... or?

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 30/08/2006 6:21 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

LOL! As we used to say when we were kids ....

I double dog dare you!

:D

Just kidding! (Or am I?) :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 30/08/2006 11:08 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I work as a charge nurse in a hospital with well educated men and women from varied backgrounds and locations( from all over the planet). The funny thing is that I have to more or less enforce the Guitar Noise rules( no political or religious discussion) otherwise They would argue all night long and not get anything done :lol: :lol: :lol: --ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 31/08/2006 2:23 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I am a follower of the deity G'itt-ah, sometimes referred to as A-Kse.
You will please refrain from making mention of his name on these boards - and I know all of your tricks with mis-spelling his name - I'm not fooled. 8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 31/08/2006 3:31 pm
Page 1 / 2