Clear all

The continuing saga

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

So Derek emails me something I can't open because he emailed from his MySpace account and then deleted it. The subject seemed pretty pissed off, something about me hating him, etc. etc. so I wrote him this email:

Derek,

First off be assured that no member of GN knows that I thought a couple of days off might be a good idea. It's just between you and me and some of the moderating team.

Second, sometimes I have to make choices out of the blue. I don't know if they are the best choices. I just noticed a lot of tension building and some ugly words being said. You aren't being punished. I just needed things to cool down. Pulling the two sides apart, well, It's the only way I know. I really hope you come back.

Third? Hate you? LOL, nothing could be farther from the truth. I have the utmost admiration for anyone who picks up a guitar to make music. If you think about my posts to you I have tried to guide you, help and let you know where I thought things were going wrong. I don't waste that much time typing out responses to people I don't give a crap about. Heck I don't even send emails like this to people I hate.

So.....listen....come back on Wednesday.

But let me tell you point blank what the feedback I'm getting is. You post questions without really reading or understanding the responses.

That seems to some people like disrespect. I'm sure you don't mean to do that. So take the time to read and respond and all will be good.

Take it easy. Come back to GN tomorrow. If anyone asks where you were just tell them you "were busy practicing, what were they doing? Wasting time on an internet forum :) ?"

Nick
-----------------------

and his response?

Why would I want to put tension on a forum I thought I liked? and if you read all my postings I was being nice, Obaying the rules, Yeah I might have accindently asked a question more then once, And when some one called me a troll I responed in a very nice manor and told them to read my posts before calling mea troll and to tone it down.

And my english isn't all that great any hoo you should know that by now.

But people think I'm, disrespecting them their postings? WAIT until Wednesday when I come back onto the forums I will really turn in to a BIG FORUM troll, and a BIG dis respecter so they wouldn't be liers,

BUAHAHA, So your going to have your work cut out for you big time BUAHAH.

You know what grinds my gears? When I'm not doing anything wrong and one person coomes along and fucks with me a little like that fuck twat lars did then all of a sudden every gangs up on me and wants me gone. And I thought I was in the fucking member circle. I took everyones advice so far and I fucking GET shit on by you of all people. Yeah I do know your an Admin..................... And yeah you have to do your job but I think some times your powers gets to your head some times.

--------------------

I'm thinking that perhaps reinstating him Wednesday isn't such a great idea. :shock: Any thoughts?

Posted : 05/08/2008 6:31 pm
(@davidhodge)

Obviously, don't reinstate him.

Send him this, and feel free to use my name if you want to. Or I can send it to him via regular email, which would probably be better...

Derek

I'm truly sorry to read the response that you just sent to Nick. It clearly shows that all the things we (the entire team of Moderators at Guitar Noise) worried about are worth our worrying about. Instead of reading what was written (about how no one "wants you gone"), you'd prefer to go off on a rant and insult everyone. And if that's how you're going to behave, frankly, then what's the sense of trying to talk with you? If you look and read all the posts that have been made to answer your questions, I think you'll find a lot more understanding and patience than you've gotten anywhere else on the Internet.

You may certainly think that you've taken everyone's advice, but the evidence is all to the contrary. Worse, you kind of make it impossible to believe you when we read the kind of posts you make on other forums.

We have over twenty thousand members at the Guitar Noise Forums. Community is about communication and the biggest part of communication is listening. If it means that much for you to come back, then prove to me that you're capable of listening. If it doesn't mean that much, then don't worry about it. Like Nick, I truly hate seeing someone leave. But this decision is one that you have put in your hands by not reading what was sent to you in the first place but simply reacting with a tantrum.

Because of your response, the Moderators have decided to wait a while before reinstating you to the Guitar Noise Forum. I'm sure you can appreciate why we chose to do this.

So, if you want to discuss things, and I mean discuss as opposed to swearing and ranting for the sake of proving who knows what, write me and discuss. I'll be happy to join you in a discussion, but I don't have time for tantrums. If you don't want to discuss things, fine.

Your call.

Peace

David

Posted : 05/08/2008 6:51 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I have to say that each of you has written an undeservedly kind and patient response. This is all very unfortunate, but I don't see how we could possibly reinstate him after his response to Nick.

Sorry it worked out this way, but thanks to Nick for trying so hard to help DSlide become a responsible participant. It seems like the internet can bring out the worst in some people.

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 05/08/2008 7:01 pm
(@davidhodge)

I haven't sent that yet, Tim. Waiting on Nick's word (not to mention an email address) to do so.

Remember all the stuff Mikespe wrote didn't keep us from reinstating him one time...

Peace

Posted : 05/08/2008 7:10 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Oh, Vic....did I say welcome to the wonderful world of being a mod? :D

Posted : 05/08/2008 7:40 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh, Vic....did I say welcome to the wonderful world of being a mod? :D

LOL, I'm just reading this while taking a break from working on a tab.....I would have said, "let him come back," but after that response....if he wants to take that attitude, it just isn't good for the site. I've tried to get him to think before he posts, but it's becoming pretty obvious he just doesn't listen! Or it goes in one ear, and straight out the other....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/08/2008 8:07 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Over on BRB he went on a big tantrum today, cursing and saying he was trying to get banned, and said things about how others had disrespected him and he was going to "do" them. Said some angry things about Nick, who most folks on BRB don't even know. Then he came back on the thread where he posted his first angry outburst and posted a brief apology. I don't expect he'll get booted there, but some have already clicked the "Foe" (Ignore) button on him, and he'll likely soon find himself not getting much response.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 05/08/2008 8:18 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'd say he's written his own epitaph. Let his butt go!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 05/08/2008 8:23 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd say he's written his own epitaph.
Would that be in the style of Derek Trucks?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 05/08/2008 9:10 pm
(@davidhodge)

Just got a note from Twisted Lefty:
derekslide
Sent at: 05 Aug 2008 18:16
To: dhodge

sorry if i misspelled
did he get banned or something?
I just searched for him to find a post and it said he doesn't exist.

So?

How about I write this back (especially since it's the truth?):
Hi TL

He didn't get banned as much as decided he didn't want to be here. In a recent post (I think it was about Gibson J45s), posts were getting a little heated, so Nick asked him to take a few days off and let things cool down and blow over. Derek immediately kind of went ballistic about being asked. The posts he sent Nick and other mods led us to extend his "sabbatical" so that he could cool down a little more. When informed of this, he said he wanted to get banned. We've honored his request.

Kind of sad. Maybe one day he'll get back in touch. We've left the door open...

That okay? Or do you want to handle it in a more "official" manner, Nick?

By the bye, someone should post something in "News" about Vic...

Peace

Posted : 05/08/2008 9:42 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I think that's fine to send to twisty. Lets let the rest of the mods weigh in on this first before we ban him. Maybe somebody has a better idea of how to deal with him.

Posted : 05/08/2008 10:19 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

He also PM'd me an apology over on BRB. Said he'd "had a bad day," and next time he had one he'd stay off his puter and play his guitar. I told him:

Sure, Derek, that's fine with me.

I think you'll have some "living down" to do on the board, though. Eventually folks will forget the embarrassing stuff if you keep a fairly low profile for a while and are nice.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 05/08/2008 10:53 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

He sent me one too.

I'll be happy to give him a second chance, but I'm letting him know that it's the last chance. I mean we've given second chances to worse cases. Vic, if you want nightmares search this forum for Mikespe, or Staind or Deadlock. Sheesh, I just made a shiver run up my own spine. You might be surprised at the length of the discussions before we chose any course of action. Which reminds me, if you ever see a post that you have no idea what to do with, just move it to Electric Ladyland. We'll talk about it and move it back if necessary.

I need to go out and kick some small puppies, my Iron Fist is so out of practice.

Posted : 05/08/2008 11:42 pm
(@davidhodge)

Okay, I've added to the note to Twisty:
Hi TL

He didn't get banned as much as decided he didn't want to be here. In a recent post (I think it was about Gibson J45s), posts were getting a little heated, so Nick asked him to take a few days off and let things cool down and blow over. Derek immediately kind of went ballistic about being asked. The posts he sent Nick and other mods led us to extend his "sabbatical" so that he could cool down a little more. When informed of this, he said he wanted to get banned. We've honored his request.

Kind of sad. Maybe one day he'll get back in touch. We've left the door open. Depending on how he reacts to things, you may see him back before too long...

And if you are letting him back on, Nick, I'd say keep his old posts deleted and let him start from scratch. Maybe giving him a limited number of posts per day might be a good start...

Peace

Posted : 06/08/2008 12:17 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I can do that.

Oh BTW, in case no one noticed, second chances never work out. I think we have a zero percent success rate.

Posted : 06/08/2008 12:34 am
Page 1 / 2