Easy Songs - Index.

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Deep breath.....

As you all know, the Easy Song Database is one of the forums I've spent a lot of time in over the years, to the point where it's become a bit of a bee in my bonnet, so to speak. Looking through the index, I notice it's a bit untidy - I've already started cleaning it up a bit, making spacing etc a little more consistent.

What I'd like to do - if it's OK with the rest of you? - is to clean it up properly. Sort out the inconsistencies, so that (for example)....
Who, The - Behind Blue Eyes
Who, The - I'm Free
Who, The - Pinball Wizard
Williams, Hank - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Williams, Robbie - Strong
Wilson Pickett - In The Midnight Hour
Wings - Band On The Run
Winter, Johnny - Memory Pain
Worley, Darryl - Have You Forgotten

These are all under "W"....I'd move Pickett, Wilson to the "P" section. All artists would be arranged in alphabetical order of SURNAME.....all bands with a "The" in their names would be dealt with like The Who in the example above. Clash, The - filed under C. Beatles, The - under B, as they are now.

I wouldn't edit in the index itself - I'd be too scared of blowing the whole thing up! Rather, I'd copy the whole thing out to Notepad, and edit it in there, and just replace it when finished.

Any thoughts?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/08/2008 6:52 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That works for me, as a matter of fact that is how I did the original. I think it's split into two sections. I'd copy it into notepad or whatever and edit away. Then create a new sticky post in ESD and paste your work into it. Then move the existing one you are replacing into Electric Ladyland and we'll keep it there as a back up.

Thanks much.

Posted : 06/08/2008 7:24 pm
(@davidhodge)

For what it's worth, if you're going to go through all that trouble, you really don't need the "the" with groups. Just listing the Who as "Who" will certainly work. But kudos galore for getting the last name first! Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just never think to look for Mark Knopfler (as an example) under "M."

Good luck, Vic!

Peace

Posted : 06/08/2008 7:48 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Great idea Vic!

And if you'd like to come over and tidy my place up as well, that would be great. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 06/08/2008 9:28 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

OK, it's done, and the old index is in EL. Just got to update now with the most recent posts.....then pack my brush and shovel and wait for the plane tickets to Wes's to arrive...

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 07/08/2008 3:14 am