Just wondering-Dar Williams

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Elle
(@elle)
Topic starter  

Hi Guys
   I was just wondering having read a few posts who Dar Williams is? I have seen her name mentioned a few times and wondered what type of music she plays, where she is from etc. I am from the UK and have never heard of her either there or in Europe.
        Elle ;)

(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Hi Elle,
Dar is a folk singer who originated in the US.  I know she does tour around the UK. You can check out my interview with her on the Other Side https://www.guitarnoise.com/otherside/20010827.php She is a really nice person and a great songwriter.  She's pretty funny on stage too, with lots of great vignettes between songs.  Plus she was nice to my daughter (9 or 10 at the time) who is a huge fan.  I did the interview between her last two albums.  
Her website is http://www.darwilliams.com and lists her tour dates.  Looks like she's staying stateside for this year, but I know she's toured in UK.
Check her out; she's great!  She plays a Huss and Dalton (see Nick's article : https://www.guitarnoise.com/pick/20030412.php )

Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

I finally got to see Dar in concert a few months back.  I'd been waiting for about 5 years for the chance...and she didn't disappoint.  The best thing was she bounced up and down to the music the entire show.  She must have calves of steel!

Elle, if you are looking for a few Dar songs to take a listen to, I would recommend:  
As Cool As I Am
Aging Well
Babysitter's Here
Party Generation
Spring Street
When I Was A Boy
I Saw A Bird Fly Away
That's a pretty good cross section of her work...and just a few of my most favorites.
;D

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Olive, Great that you got to see her. I'm trying to figure how to get to another one of her concerts later this year.  Somehow I don't think I'm going to Puerta Vallarta!

Love the songs you listed esp, Babysitter, Boy and As Cool.  Also I'm Not Your Yoko Ono has really grown on me and Christians and the Pagans is a personal fav.

Glad to see another Dar fan on GN ;D

ReplyQuote
 Elle
(@elle)
Topic starter  

Hey girls
 Thanks for the info, i went onto the website and had a little listen to the new album 'The beauty of the rain' WOW i really loved what i heard, its always nice to discover a new artist. So i'm off to amazon to order the album!! ;D ;D
    Elle ;)

ReplyQuote
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Elle,
Since you're ordering anyway, consider the Honesty Room CD; it's one of her earlier ones, but with some great stuff.

Glad we could help you find a new artist!

ReplyQuote
(@tone4days)
Eminent Member

my recently disbanded group, creative doubt, covered 'what do you hear in these sounds' by dar williams ... i really enjoyed it and got a kick out of the 'a little too much information' lyrics ... the line 'i was like east berlin .. i could see their fireworks and i could hear their radio' was classic
... the song is not too terribly hard for beginners to learn - it's only a handful of chords

enjoy

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

i really enjoyed it and got a kick out of the 'a little too much information' lyrics ... the line 'i was like east berlin .. i could see their fireworks and i could hear their radio' was classic

That's what I love so much about Dar.  It seems like all of her songs have at least one or two lines that really stick with you.  I have listened to all her albums countless times and there are still songs that make me smile no matter how many times I've heard them.  I'll actually remain in my car or at my desk or whatever, just so I can hear a song that I know is coming up next on the CD.  

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote