Skip to content
Long Black Veil- an...

Notifications
Clear all

Long Black Veil- anybody else tried playing it?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, all.

I've just discovered the track "Long Black Veil", and I'd love to have a go at playing it. One drawback/issue, however. I'm female, and it's really a guy's song. So, what I'm asking is, have any of my fellow women tried playing it, and what do you do with the lyrics? Seeing as the entire song concerns a guy who's condemned to hang, this MAY be a difficult one.

Thanks, though.

Shady

Take care,

Casey

(@davidhodge)

Really just depends on how you bring it to your audience. There are many old folk songs told from a female narrator's perspective, but that doesn't stop male singers from singing them. Dave Bromberg is a great example of an artist who does this well. And then you've got something like Angel From Montgomery, written by John Prine, who simply gives you the POV in the very first line ("I am an old woman / named after my mother...").

If you take a moment to set up the story of the song with your audience, they are usually more than willing to take the ride with you. If you really like the song and are into it and are giving them a good interpretation, then the narrative issue will fall by the wayside.

Hope this helps and looking forward one day to hearing your arrangement!

Peace

ReplyQuote