Skip to content
What are the best e...

Notifications
Clear all

What are the best electric guitars for women?

32 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@portia)
Reputable Member

Hi. I'm not an expert or anything - I mostly use hand me downs from my brother (much cheaper that way), but I think you'd really just have to go out and try a few. Unless you have particularly small hands, you will probably find that the same guitars guys like will work fine for you too. Also, on the daisy rock issue: I used to scoff at the idea of daisy rock guitars - I'm not a particularly girly girl, and the idea of a flower shaped or pink guitar is not at all appealing to me, but then Ladysixstring.com was giving one to the winner of their songwriting contest. I checked it out and I saw the light. It is now my dream guitar. There is definately more to daisy rock guitars than hearts and flowers. Check this one out - it's the venus - and even my brother likes it:

:) Portia

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Oh, yes! The Stardust Venus model is BEAUTIFUL! And I especially like the fact that it comes with high output humbuckers (my RetroH has vintage mini-humbuckers). And the vine inlay is gorgeous! And the binding is abalone, and that ivory pearl finish is amazing!. Yeow! :D (Obviously I've been checking that one out, too!) Their Rock Candy Specials are pretty cool, too. The body has a beautiful (either blue or red) quilted maple top with abalone stars for fretmarkers, and comes with Duncan designed Humbuckers. I've also been checking into their acoustic/electrics. They've got a Stardust a/e with a flamed maple top (in a vintage tobacco starburst or a blonde), and the only thing "girlie" about them are the abalone flower shaped fretmarkers. The pickups are custom piezo's. No doubt about it, once women get past those ridiculous hearts, flowers, butterflies, they're going to find out that Daisy Rock's are WONDERFUL guitars!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

Okay...everyone can stop posting pics of pretty guitars! My guitar wish list is already too long as is!

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Just two more and I'll quit! :D

This is the Daisy Rock 'Rock Candy' in glitter pink...........

and this is the Daisy Rock Stardust Elite.............not pink!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

OK........ I lied! Here's the Rock Candy Specials with the quilted maple tops..............

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@honeytone)

I wouldn't be influenced by a range of pink, heart shaped guitars, but if they do encourage other females to take up the instrument...then I'm all for it. :D

I have a Schecter C1 Elite and it suits me just fine...It's lightweight and has a narrow neck, but best of all, It sounds and looks amazing!!

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

I think I want a pink guitar for the same reason I want a pink Harley...just because it goes against the standard image.

But like you said, Honeytone, if a pink, heart-shaped guitar makes some girl (or guy for that matter) pick up the guitar than I'm all for it.

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member

I dont know, I sorta think that should be up to the chic that'el be playing the guitar. she should get whatever feels right to her. My daughter plays a charvel with on of thoughs scaled down necks & she digs it. I on the other hand cant stan it. We "the charvel" clash!!!

"You can drive a song or you can make it sit still."

ReplyQuote
(@barbiesteel)
Eminent Member

Hello everybody,

Electrablue, are you into hard-rock?.
I have a full sized Xiphos-Ibanez (with jumbo frets). It's kind of big. But i manage very well to play it. But this is my first electric guitar, so i couldn't tell the difference. I wonder if i would feel more comfortable playing on a smaller guitar, like this Daisy rock. They seem cool. But I didn't see any with a tremolo nor any with a 7 string, for example. I also wonder if they would sound good enough for heavy metal or extreme heavy as grindcore...

gab

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

Hello everybody,

Electrablue, are you into hard-rock?.
I have a full sized Xiphos-Ibanez (with jumbo frets). It's kind of big. But i manage very well to play it. But this is my first electric guitar, so i couldn't tell the difference. I wonder if i would feel more comfortable playing on a smaller guitar, like this Daisy rock. They seem cool. But I didn't see any with a tremolo nor any with a 7 string, for example. I also wonder if they would sound good enough for heavy metal or extreme heavy as grindcore...

gab

I would imagine they can get really heavy as that is going to depend on your amp/pedals more than anything. There is a video on their website:

http://www.daisyrock.com/products/rockcandy/rc_custom.htm

Also check out Luna Guitars. It's another brand geared towards women.

http://www.lunaguitars.com/index.php

Neither brand has much in the tremolo department and not a single 7 string so you'll have to check out the unisex brands (for lack of a better term). I'm looking at getting a 7 string and don't know much about them but be prepared for a wider neck.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

What electrics do women really like to use and why? Whichever ones are loud enough to drown out the men. Just kidding. I play a variety of electrics; I own a strat, a project strat, an Epi LP, a Spear LP-style, and a tele and project LP. I favour the strats, but choose which guitar based on sound (if being used e.g. when gigging or recording seriously....if I'm just noodling at home, it tends to be whichever one is in the room with me, but again that's usually my strat). I choose guitars for tone, comfort, and looks. Probably in that order, too.

Gibsons because they have the 24 3/4 scale neck? Better for smaller hands? I find the strat more comfortable at the neck. I like the fretboard and neck profiles. But I don't have particularly short hands.

Fender because of contoured body? Is the 25 1/2 scale really a problem? Strat for the sounds man, for The Sounds! Y'know, that noise that comes out of it that is the music? The countouring on the front of the body is hella comfy, but that dip in the back I'm not too fussed about personally. It looks good, but does nothing for me in terms of comfort.

Others because of light weight? Nope, I don't have any back problems. I get the men around me to do the heavy lifting. Actually, they offer, thinking I'd prefer light weight things. Now, they all have back problems and play acoustics because they're light weight, while I play my LP. I'm feeling just a little patronised here. Guitars aren't tow trucks, and there are plenty of wussy men out there. Just as there are plenty of women more than capable of lifting a guitar without breaking a nail. Although my heavy playing of guitars does often result in broken nails.

Are Daily Rock guitars JUST for girls? Would a serious woman really play one? I wouldn't, but that's just because I haven't seen any that really suit me aesthetically. I would have no doubt felt like that as a kid too, though.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Did you check out some of the colorful Luna acoustic guitars?

It must be the feminine side of me that is attracted to them.

The dolphin is cool, the lotus or passion flower are more feminine, but the dragon is what I want (burp) . . .

Oops, sorry I got GAS.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Great revival of an old thread, which I never knew existed, and some new posts in a row, above, good stuff - I liked looking and reading.

I like the tried and true Tele, and the Strat, as you've seen, if I haven't turned anyone away with too many pictures of my babe, or little woman.

That said, there's always another (and another, as long as it's okay :lol: ), so how about another Rickenbacker? Lightweight, semihollow, short and reachable, and has 24 frets! Belongs to my son actually, not daughter, AKA Lil' Jaco.

Really, I think that a woman, or a man, can play any electric guitar they want, if it fits and feels good! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 ayms
(@ayms)

I really think the design on some of the the Luna guitars like this one are attractive. I think they're feminine in an understated way. The Apollo series are pretty classy looking, especially the Trans Purple and Trans Brazilian finishes. On the other hand, those Daisy Rock Candy guitars are fun in an obnoxious way, and I've been secretly wanting one for a while too.

I'm also firmly in the camp that your instrument chooses you as much as you choose it. So as a woman choosing a guitar, I'm not even necessarily going by looks. My acoustic is kind of basic and honestly a little ugly. I chose it solely on how it felt to play and its sound. That said, it would be nice to buy some flashy thing someday just for kicks. As long as it sounded great and was fun to play though.

I''ve played a lot of different instruments besides the guitar and I'm not sure I could really buy one without sitting down and trying it out for a while first. That makes it hard to say, "Guitar X is the best for women." A lot of times it's the most unlikely choice, too. My favorite piano in the world was some beat up old thing in one of the practice rooms where I went to school. Not too flashy at all.

I seem to be drawn to ugly old instruments. I guess they have more character. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think any guitar you like that feels comfortable is just fine. Some guys are small, some women are big .......... long fingers, short fingers.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3