Clear all

12 String

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Its a big place and I haven't looked everywhere, but I haven't seen a 12 string forum. I don't know how many 12 string players we have, but I'm just now starting to dabble with a 12 and could use some support.
Eric

Posted : 22/03/2007 12:32 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Be sure to check out David Hodge's excellent article on 12-strings; I think it's called "Double Your Pleasure." Has a great arrangement of the Allman Bros' "Melissa."

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 09/04/2007 2:55 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I just bought a new 12 string to replace the $50 ebay special I was trying to play. Wouldn't ya know it, along comes my daughters boyfriend and gives me a Jasmine 12 string that needed some TLC. Well I adjusted the relief, lowered the action and put on some new strings (the old ones were so old they were crusty) so now I've got 3 12s. I think I'll give it back to him and get him to play guitar (his instrument of choice is piano).

Posted : 09/04/2007 11:33 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

David's article is helpful. And play around with it -- you'll soon feel comfortable with it. I got an electric 12 string in December and have been having loads of fun with it. I don't think you really need a separate forum. Enjoy the new guitar!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 10/04/2007 10:22 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I've been playing a twelve for 3 or 4 years now and love it! I have to agree with Musenfreund, though. I don't think we need a whole forum for it. It's really not that much different from playing a six.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 10/04/2007 5:47 pm
(@madisgp)

Lets not be too hasty... 12 strings are different. Sure all the chords are in the same place and you pretend it's just a six string when you're starting out with one, But they do play different. Ever tried drop D with a 12 string? And some songs just aren't right for the 12-string. AND some are PERFECT for 12-string. I've been playing one for years. Try practicing your scales on your 12 string...that'll get your hands in shape! I think a 12-string only forum would be pretty cool.... IMHO.

Posted : 19/12/2007 7:15 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I got mine last year, and only about 10% of the songs I usually play sound right on it to me. Those ones sound fantastic mind - I'm not complaining - but it's no small difference IMHO, and that's before you even get to the playing, capos that are strong enough etc. I don't know if there's enough to keep a whole section ticking over though.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 19/12/2007 8:04 pm