Clear all

A lesson course.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Well, I don't know if you guys have or haven't heard this before, but I think one of the things that would most benefit learning musicians like myself on Guitarnoise would be for your articles to be in some sort of order.

The most frequent problem I have here is that I will choose a section to look at, and then I'm presented with a list of articles. They're not in any particular order, so I don't know what to look at frist. Often times I wind up reading through an article when, if I had read an article before that one, which may be on a totally different subject, I would've understood it a lot clearer.

What I had in mind was basically a gradual stepping order. Articles arranged in the sort of "prerequisite" manner. For example, if I wanted to look at lessons about chords, I'd like to see the articles in a list of what you should know first, and then add on to the last article.

I don't know if this is what you were striving for in the beginning or not, but it's a bit difficult for me to learn with these pages. Mind you, not nearly as difficult as it would be without them, but I just thought I'd offer this suggestion.

Posted : 15/09/2004 11:43 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hi Sagacious,
I just noticed you hadn't had a reply. This is an idea that has come up from time to time, but we've always felt that it is difficult to identify a progression in the lessons that would suit every learner who visits the site. At least that's how I've interpreted our discussions. You could start with the Easy Songs for Beginners and work through them pretty systematically from start to end. But once you begin to think of theory and other matters, the approach here has been, I'd suggest, to give snapshots of important areas rather than to build a structure that requires you to move from one step to the next. And that is so, in part, I think, because we have a wide range of members and visitors -- some self-taught, some also taking lessons, some with a lot of experience and others, like me, with just a bit of experience. With everyone progressing at a different rate and coming at the lessons with different backgrounds, it seems unwise to construct a syllabus.

But I could be wrong.....

I think we revisit this topic from time to time, so your suggestion is helpful.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 17/09/2004 2:40 pm
(@deejay88)

What I had been doing was taking all of the lessons in order according to their post date (via the Masterlist). This worked well for me, especially with Mr. Hodges' columns: they tend to build on one another. But to my dismay, the Masterlist link at the bottom of the page seems to have disappeared. May I suggest that someone write a page with links to all the lessons available at GN listed in chronological order (the oldest, or first posted, at the top of the list)? This would be great for me. Thanks.
D.J.

Looking up,
D.J.

Posted : 10/01/2005 6:32 pm