Clear all

Couple Of Suggestions....

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Okay, I'm really feelin' the use-value of the Easy Song Database and potential use-value of staff picks, but I reckon there could be a couple more similar things that would be useful....

An Altered Tunings database thread - listing tunes (e.g. Elmore James' Dust My Broom) then giving the tuning used. I think it'd help people trying to transcribe stuff. Like, apparently, Chris Whitley's tune Scrapyard Lullaby uses DADADA tuning but, if you didn't know that, trying to suss the tune would probs do ya head in (as it did mine in years back trying to figure it out!). Also, some tunes have been done in an altered tuning but later covered in e.g. standard tuning - listing these as part of it might help GNers find versions they can play more easily. It wouldn't need whole songs tabbed out, it'd just be a reference thang.

Best e.g. vibrato/tapping/insert technique here examples thread(s) - I know as well as anyone that musicians are born to disagree over who or what is the 'bet', but I reckon with a modicum of self-restraint and by focussing on specific techniques, we could pull this off. So, a 'best vibrato' post might include a citation for B.B. King who, like or him or not (and I do), clearly has a distinct vibrato. Since there are a lot of post on here along the lines of "I really wanna get into vibrato/modes/tapping/whatever but don't know where to start" and these posts usually ask for examples (or result in e.g.s being posted to illustrated points), having some kind of 'list system' or reference tool that is permanent may be useful.

Anyways, comments welcome.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 05/03/2008 3:59 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Dunno about altered tunings database - but I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to mention the tuning in the title of the post, and in the index. I know I did that with "Stuck In The Middle" and someone else did with "Shelter From The Storm" - at least in the titles. I think someone else has recently done "She Talks To Angels" in a different tuning, and I think "The Times They Are A-Changing" is in there in Drop D.

So maybe a sticky with a few rules/guidelines for posting?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/03/2008 5:00 pm
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

actually a tuning database would be great, and people could post up interesting chords they have found or know of in each tuning, i love different tunings but find making more than one or two chords in them hard...

it could be a great help for the songwriting area, inspiration through different tunings....

Posted : 05/03/2008 9:56 pm
(@davidhodge)

Maybe we could put it on the "Slide and Alternate Tuning" page?

Peace

Posted : 05/03/2008 10:29 pm