Clear all

Different Kind of GN LIbrary

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I got this idea from Sleutelbos' idea in the other thread in the other forum.

How about a forum for all the GuitarNoise songs. That is, all of Dave's songs in the lessons. People who have learned the songs can record them and post them and then other people can hear what they came out sounding like. The idea is not to hear the songs in order to play them because everyone already knows what Imagine and some of the other songs already sound like. It would just be a way to be able to hear them as people learn them on their own guitars at their own tempos and also a way to chart people's progress.

I also think it should be in its own forum or as a subset of the Hear Here forum so you don't have to wade through everything else there to hear the GN songs.

good idea or no?

Posted : 20/01/2007 10:01 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Good idea Pearl ..

The only problem I could see with the idea is that many beginners like me are a bit shy about other { better } guitarists listening to what we do ..

I can not honestly play any of Davids' songs nothing against Davids' lessons its' more about my ability to learn from a MP3 ...I'm more from watching you do it then I get the idea { if you kno what I mean }

But is a very good idea ..

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 21/01/2007 2:43 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

An excellent idea, but what about copyright and crap like that? I can see GN get into legal trouble if tens of copyrighted songs are posted. :(

Posted : 21/01/2007 11:27 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

It can't be done. Copyrights stand as a indestructible barrier.

To assess yourself better, here are some tips -

1. First learn slowly, reading along with the lesson.

2. Play it slowly.

3. Compare with the original recording and post yours at Soundclick. We will hear it out and give our comments on it.

4. Improve on the suggestions received and move ahead.

5. Have Fun.

As an example, I did 'Harvest Moon' after reading David's lesson. (Used the signature hook.) It is on my soundpage and got decent comments on that one.

No need to compare really. Practicing and having fun along with it will take you miles.

Good Luck.

Rahul

Posted : 21/01/2007 11:44 am
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter

i don't know bout copyright. i just an idea person! The mods here will do something if they like it. if not then they won't.

Posted : 21/01/2007 12:16 pm
(@davidhodge)

It's not a bad idea, but would definitely need some refinement. Instead of whole song, bits of intros, verses, bridges, choruses, etc., could possibly be recorded and posted.
It's easier to post smaller segments.

But...

You could also go the "whole" song route by posting on a "cover friendly" non-profit site. If I recall correctly, Soundclick has a section for covers...

It does make things a little tricky and I'll have to really look into the specifics of it. The advantage of that would also be that there'd be a place for someone to hear the "whole" song of the lesson.

Of course, the easiest thing to do, both logically and legally, would be to get Guitar Noise to the point where we could buy performance and mechanical rights to songs (WorkshopLive now has permission to use all Warner Brothers songs, for instance) and therefore make everyone happy. Is that doable? Yes. Will we do such a thing? Probably not because I sincerely doubt we could raise the needed funds year after year.

But times and the copyright mentality are changing. You never know how this is all going to turn out...

Peace

Posted : 21/01/2007 1:31 pm
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter

actually i was thinking that I don't know why it's MORE of a problem than what anyone here already posts on the Hear Here forum....just a specific place for the GN songs to be placed. I think it would be interesting to hear how other people solved problems with their playing, and negtiated tricky parts of songs, etc. also you could hear how the GN songs sound with different setups...

The thing that got me thinking about it is that in the lessons Dave plays with a 12 string and he knows how to play all twelve strings! I only have six strings that i struggle with so my songs never sound anything like the MP3s. I started wondering what anyone else sounds like playing these songs from the same lessons....

Posted : 21/01/2007 2:29 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Why don't you all try the idea out in the Hear Here Forum and see if it catches on. The other option would be to post links to your recordings of songs in the Lessons Forum for critique. (In general, I'm wary of forum proliferation. If an idea can be accommodated in an existing forum, that's better imho.) If you want to post links to recordings of yourself playing a song, post it in the lessons forum. Use the format:

"Before You Accuse Me: Recordings". Just post all recordings for a song in one thread.

Would that work or am I misunderstanding the general concept?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 21/01/2007 6:46 pm
(@davidhodge)

Another idea would be to post a link in the appropriate lesson thread on the "Guitar Noise Lessons" page. After all, there's supposed to only be one thread per lesson and that way everyone could not only work on their performance, but also find tips and ideas that have already been discussed.

Just a thought. I might give it a try myself later this week...

Peace

Posted : 21/01/2007 7:00 pm
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter

that could work. Maybe someone will see this and start up that idea. i can't record right now. hopefully i'll be able to soon.

Posted : 21/01/2007 7:00 pm