How do we have “Guests”?

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I tried accessing GN from my work pc through Netscape and when I tried to go into a particular forum, it asked for a name and password.

Normally at work I go through IE and never have a problem because I'm used to logging in, but I was checking my work e-mail and decided to access GN through Netscape and couldn't even look at anything.

So how do we have guests here looking in particular forums? Or is it just me?

Thanks

Mike

Edit - No this has nothing to do with f***loser's post.

I'll add, or is when I clicked on the forum I showed up as a guest and it asked for my name and password and the "guest" is still "viewed" as being in a particular forum?

Posted : 14/10/2005 12:45 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I think I know what you mean, but don't have an answer...sorry. When I'm at home, I'm logged in automatically when I visit the forum, but at work, if I try to go into a forum, I'm asked to log in with my user name & password. I wondered the same thing...hmm, how do we have "guests" then...

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 14/10/2005 1:34 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I deleted the account because he renamed it. When I did that the old account showed up as guest.

Posted : 14/10/2005 1:49 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I deleted the account because he renamed it. When I did that the old account showed up as guest.

Edit - No this has nothing to do with f***loser's post.

I understand all of that, and that is why I edited my post after I thought about "his" situation.

I know why he was at "guest" status.

Edit again -

Heck, I remember telling Vic Lewis to become a member a looooong time ago and he responded back, “I am, but I can't remember my password!” :lol:

Back then, yeah we always had guests and guests responding a lot, but I know (obviously) we don't have guests as we used to and I was wondering how (at the bottom of the forum index and through “who is on-line”, how we have guests looking in particular forums?

Posted : 14/10/2005 1:56 am
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I was wondering how (at the bottom of the forum index and through “who is on-line”, how we have guests looking in particular forums?
phpBB registers a guest (or user) as viewing a page, as soon as the page is called, even if the guest (or user) is ultimately denied access to the page. So that list is not always accurate.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

Posted : 14/10/2005 2:30 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

ooooooh I didn't know that.

I don't have anything against guest access, except it makes moderating a full time job.

Posted : 14/10/2005 10:27 am
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

ooooooh I didn't know that.
Most don't. And it's raised some eyebrows to many phpBB admins, especially where restricted forums/pages are concerned.

-- John

There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

Posted : 14/10/2005 6:05 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I'll add, or is when I clicked on the forum I showed up as a guest and it asked for my name and password and the "guest" is still "viewed" as being in a particular forum?

I thought that too (as you can see ^), but didn't know if I was correct.

Thanks, PappaJohn!

Posted : 14/10/2005 8:10 pm
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

You're welcome, Tracker

-- John

Posted : 14/10/2005 8:19 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have tried viewing forums as a guest but it doesn't allows that , forget about posting (initially when i was not a member).

Posted : 15/10/2005 3:32 am