More Moderators or Helpers needed

21 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@jamir)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Hi'a
I've been away for a while and I have been looking through the Guitar Noise songwriters forum, and am horrified that some of the newbies don't have any comments at all next to their first submissions.

I know time is precious and critting is a time consuming act of love and compassion , empathy and understanding all rolled into one, so maybe we need to get a few more moderators or members from the SSG group to make sure these people are not putting in the time and effort and getting nothing back !!!!!!!
I remember I was once there and it is heartbreaking to put something in and get no comments at all. It makes you feel like a failier before you even get off the ground .......
I for one am going to make a concerted effort to get this off the ground, these are our ppotential song writters of tomorrow

Go well
Ja'mir

I am a cloud within a cloud http://www.justjamir.com

you can hear my songs at :

http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=21709

Posted : 26/08/2005 7:41 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I haven't visited the songwriters forum for quite awhile, but agree with you that it is sad if in fact that is happening. (maybe I'll try to get over there once in awhile to add some comments myself). I can't believe that the mods for that forum aren't even commenting though! Maybe it's turned into a bit of a "clique", and they tend to shun newbies? Hope not. These forums are supposed to be about sharing and helping were you can, and it would be a shame if a part of GN wasn't living up to that. :oops:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 26/08/2005 12:26 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Moderator and contributor are different animals.

I'll take a look.

It would be interesting to see how many songs the newbies have critiqued themselves.

Posted : 26/08/2005 12:28 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Maybe it's turned into a bit of a "clique", and they tend to shun newbies?

I really don't think that's it.

I'm not sure more moderators are the answer, moderators are here mainly just to help in general (putting posts in the right spot, not letting anything turn into a fight, making sure rules are followed etc). Could be there's not as big an interest as there was, or maybe some people don't have anything to say about the songs.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 26/08/2005 3:25 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

It would be interesting to see how many songs the newbies have critiqued themselves.

That would be interesting. You gotta give to get.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 27/08/2005 3:57 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I don't know about that. I can relate this to the hear here section, when I first joined the site, and I was a "newbie" at guitar too, I didn't really know what to say about other's music. Didn't know what tips I could offer.

After posting a couple of songs, I got criticism, and I learned. Lots of other new guys had the same problems as me, and I could tell them that, because I'd been informed of my own problems. I also learned from the guys that criticized me, the correct way to do so, how to do it in a way that wouldn't be construed as offensive, but rather as a "You're doing great champ, but you can definitly be doing better!"

Maybe it also has to do with feeling like more a part of the crowd. "Whose this schmoe, I'd like to see him try it". When you've posted a few songs, you feel more comfortable telling people how they can improve.

I don't know, maybe that's just me. (If anyone comes and says "It's just you" I'll be mighty upset!)

But yeah, that's just been my own experience, and I feel that the Hear Here and the song writing forum are related. They are both a place in which people must give constructive criticism, and people want to recieve constructive criticism.

Taso

Posted : 27/08/2005 5:17 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I'm not a song writer by far, but one day when I am talented enough and have the feel/vibe to write my own songs I will follow Nick's Scoring Points article.

The reason I mention that article is because every time I go to the songwriters section, I'm lost without the MP3. I don't know, and for some reason, can never get the feel of the song to be able to critique it.

I'm sure many of them are outstanding, but without Nick's guideline, I'm lost with their meaning. I'm not knocking the posters by any means!!! Just can't get the feel with just written words without direction.

Mike

Posted : 29/08/2005 2:39 am
(@rodders)
Noble Member

It might be a nice idea to have a quid-pro-quo situation, whereby you are not allowed to post a new thread unless you have replied or commented on a previous thread, say 2 or 3 times

Not just on the songwriter forum but all forums. I too have posted and had no replies and I must say its a little off putting, you get to think yhat no one cares. but when you do finaly get a bit of banter going with other members, theres no better place to be on the internet.

Just a thought !

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 29/09/2005 7:54 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I don't write songs, so what I'm about to suggest may be completely offbase. But, Rodders, your post got me thinking. What if posters used the "poll" feature to elicit some kind of anonymous response from folks. (At least in instances where the songwriter wants to solicit critiques of the song or of particular aspects of the songs). In some instances, that might keep a post from languishing on the forum without response.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 29/09/2005 8:45 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

That seems like a good idea.

I don't know what kind of options you'd put though.

"Bad" "good" "need more imagery" "rhymes don't work" etc.

It'd be more helpful to have that, and members post detailed critique if they want to.

Posted : 29/09/2005 8:52 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Musen,

Thats a good idea, but I know myself, if someone didn't like it I would want feedback as to what they thought was/is a problem so I know what to change or decide not to take action at all because of misinterpitation.

Just a quick thought

Posted : 29/09/2005 8:53 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Definitly.

Saying "I don't like it" helps with nothing at all. Like Izzy saying "It sucks" haha.

Posted : 29/09/2005 8:59 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Take a closer look at traffic too.
I haven't looked at the songwriters forum in months. That aside I find most forums on this whole website to be quite slow as compared to other forums I frequent.
I usually brows between Guitar player and Singing forums, skipping alternate tuning. Any new threads that I am interested in following? any replies to threads I am following? Do I have a thread I want to start?
Last night was extremely slow. Only 2 threads I was following in guitar players and NO new replies in Beginner Q&A for quite a few hours. Some forums get no new posts for days.
I sometimes look to see who is browsing a forum I am on (espeacially if I am looking for a reply) and quite often I am alone or 1 other person is there.
Don't expect much replies if there is no one home.
PS: the only reason I even saw this thread is because I posted a thread here about the Outta Site Lessons links forum (got 1 reply, thanks Tracker)

Posted : 29/09/2005 10:08 pm
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

I live in SSG ( just ask the wife ) newbies often don't critique until they are told just do it reply away say what doesn't work for them ......

I have been bludging around in there for about a year and try to critique when I can ... But sometimes I would rather read it and try to make sense of it all .. after all some of the younger people write songs with modern day music in their heads .. ( I'm 67 years old ) ... and I am not a big fan of thump thump thump ... or blah blah blah swear swear swear ....

But I'm sure if newbies were told when they signed up they were allowed to crique as long as it was not offending they writter they probably would .....

L.K

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

Posted : 03/12/2005 10:34 pm
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I dont know if we need more moderators or helpers. Do you really think that will get people eagerly writing replies or making their views known. You can sometimes count on one hand the people that use the forums most days and it always seems to be the same names. I think there is a hard core of users here and they can always be relied upon for a reply on most of the forums, I'm not going to name names, you know who you are and I would like to thank them all for the terrific banter I have reicived and been involved with.

Now back to the point, moderators or helpers arent going to sort out the problem of little or no responce to new or existing users, I mean what are they going to do? exclude members for not complying? Seems a bit harsh to me.

If you put too many rules and restrictions on people it alienates, so maybe my first responce to this thread was a little thoughtless. Maybe a little sticky at the head of all the index just to advise everybody that replies are looked upon favourably just as much as new posts !

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 03/12/2005 11:22 pm
Page 1 / 2