Clear all

reading standard notation

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ovation_player)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I thought I a saw a post from Nick that he and Noteboat were going to post a series of lessons on reading standard notation. If that's true I and many of us here are really looking forward to these lessons. Nick any idea of when we can expect to start seeing these lessons? Thanks. OP

"This song starts off kinda slow then fizzles out altogether" Neil Young

Posted : 07/01/2005 1:58 pm
(@reasonableman)
Trusted Member

I thought I'd bump this.

Although there are lessons on how to read standard notation there doesn't seem to be a decent way to practice.

One of the problems is GN is too helpful! It almost always provides TAB and Standard Notation. I just can't help myself reading the TAB, I don't do it purpose but I can read TAB pretty quickly, where as SN takes alot longer.

Posted : 26/03/2005 7:08 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Couldn't you find some piano music for a song? That way you wouldn't have the tab and could work out what you needed. Just a thought.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 26/03/2005 12:47 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Is "Standard Notation" the same as what I"d call "Sheet Music?"

It's knowing where to start....and I don't!!!! For instance .... on a piece of sheet music, you see 3 or 4 notes directly above one another...all on the same level, if you like....does this mean play all the notes at the same time, like strumming a chord?

Yes.....we could really do with a series of lessons on reading music, it would be a very valuable addition to what's already the best guitar site on the web....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 27/03/2005 7:56 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Until then, these should be helpful:

Note Locations and
Rosetta Stone.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 27/03/2005 11:13 am