ROCK SONGS

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Not sure if I can expalin this right but I wonder if there's a way to get some EASY classic rock songs up that are geared more towards electric guitar.

Alot of the songs that Dave puts up seem to be geared toward acoustic guitar.

Maybe some classics like Smoke on the Water.

I would envision the listen might include suggestions on amp settings, effects etc.?

Does it make sense, maybe someone besdies Dave can post some.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 13/02/2004 3:06 pm
(@davidhodge)

Believe it or not, I'm working on this. One of the things I thought would be very cool to do would be to start up a "Easy Electric Songs for Beginners."  I've even gone so far as to putting together a short list of songs to start with. The thing has had two basic problems - first off (and no surprise here) I need to make the time to do it.

Second, and this may be a surprise to some, there's not always a lot to write about. If you read one of the latest articles I wrote, A La Modal, you'll find a lesson on how to play Warning by Green Day. The entire song. No lie. Even though I do it on acoustic, it's an electric song.

So part of me wonders if that might be a better way to go, adding song lessons to more "regular" columns.

Lastly, there is sometimes too much to write about.  Very often the electric parts (especially the leads) are overdubbed and then one has to make the decision as to which guitar part or parts to discuss as a lesson. One answer to this is to work up lessons on specific lead parts (as the Intermediate lesson on Wish You Were Here and the one that will be online soon about the lead guitar part in Fleetwood Mac's Landslide, from the original version).

I'd appreciate hearing thoughts about this.

Peace

Posted : 13/02/2004 3:47 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Dave,

Will you be my Valentine's. That's part of my frustration learning, I get tab for songs I really like and then there's like three guitar parts. And I never know which one to pick. I know Musenfuend suggested kinda blending them together. That might work but I think it would take alot of time on your part to work out arrangements.

I've got a Hal Leonard book which is a whole series of books on all differnt types and I know it's not the exact versions but you can basically play them with one guitar.

They come with CD's. I'm working on the Tommy Tutone song 8675309 Jenny and Wonderful tonight and at least they aren't bad when I have to play by myself which is like always.

So maybe something along those lines.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 13/02/2004 5:24 pm
(@kirants)
Eminent Member

Very often the electric parts (especially the leads) are overdubbed and then one has to make the decision as to which guitar part or parts to discuss as a lesson.  

What exactly does overdubbed parts mean ? Have come across this term often but I'm not sure what that means.

Visit me @http://www.kirants.com

Posted : 19/02/2004 4:42 pm
(@alangreen)

Overdubbing - in a simple sense - if I (say) play a lead guitar solo, and then record an identical solo to harmonise with the original, and include both of them in the final mix, that's overdubbing.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 19/02/2004 10:37 pm
(@kirants)
Eminent Member

So, this is something that is possible only in studio, right ?

Interesting.. is this kinda common. Any bands whose songs often have lot of overdubbed parts ?

Visit me @http://www.kirants.com

Posted : 19/02/2004 10:46 pm
(@ibnzmusician)
Eminent Member

I suggest Time of Your Life by Green Day as one of the Easy Songs for Beginners. It has a really easy strumming pattern and is a great song to learn to sing & play with (it's the one I used!)

Posted : 08/05/2004 8:58 pm
(@arcmage)
Trusted Member

Well, I will first off tip my hat to David and all his hard work. I play the electric primarily, and eventhough I have an acoustic, I play the electric with his lessons. Not to take anything away from here, but you may want to check out Cabe .... http://www.caberocks.net/videos.htm he does some cool video lessons. As for here, I would like to see some electric rock lessons too but I in no way would pressure David from doing whatever he wants. His lessons and playing have inspired me to no end and are so appreciated he will never know.

Thanks for all you have done David .... do it your way ... it works.

"Keep on rockin' in the free world"

Posted : 08/05/2004 9:31 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Check out the easy song database - there are some good classic rock songs on there - look out for posts by Deadlock, Wes Inman and jonnyt - these guys are really good

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 16/05/2004 10:25 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That's pretty neat Cabe is doing those clips and lessons for everyone. I like how he is humble with is playing and seems pretty mellow. Good site. How did you ever come across it?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 17/05/2004 12:53 am
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

So, this is something that is possible only in studio, right ?

Interesting.. is this kinda common. Any bands whose songs often have lot of overdubbed parts ?

i don't listen to much of the newer music out today but i would assume that almost all the solo's are overdubbed. led zeppelin was notorious for overdubbing. jimmy page had a whole guitar orchestra goin on a lot of the time. in a zeppelin song you have the opportunity to hear 2-3 guitars, a mandolin, a bass, piano, and whatever else they could think of

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

Posted : 03/09/2004 11:00 am