Clear all

Suggestion re New Threads and Searches

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

If this board format allowed it, it would probably already happen, but...

On another board I use, when you start a new thread, it shows a list of old threads relating to your thread's title when you click on the main body section of your thread. It can prevent the same questions being asked repeatedly and assist members in getting answers to their questions.

I'm not sure how well I've explained it, so as an example: If I make a new thread and title it "M-Audio Profire 2626", when I click on the main body of my post to ask my question, I automatically get shown a list of old threads with those words or similar in the title, so I can check my questions haven't already been resolved there. If so, I needn't make my new thread. If not, I can go ahead and make the thread.

Just thought it might be worth checking if our boards have such a feature.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 31/05/2009 1:36 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Sometimes it has been commented that there are many similar questions in this forum. The idea is that the new members also reply to the new questions. It is also part of the learning process, when you explain a concept you also understand some different aspects, etc.

It is not permitted to start new thread on already discussed topics in some boards. I guess it is not the idea here. But the moderators have the last word!

I use the search option and also google directly over the forums when I am looking for a specific question or general opinions about gear.

Posted : 31/05/2009 10:33 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Sara - do you recall what "engine" runs that other forum? We use phpBB here. Different services offer different options and add-ons.

A great idea if it's available.

Posted : 31/05/2009 3:07 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Laz - the forum I found this on is powered by vBulletin so I'm not sure if it's available on phpBB but worth a check if we haven't already, imho. It's also not section specific, so if e.g. GN had it and I start a new thread in Guitar Players but the question has been discussed in another section (e.g. Opinions and Polls), I'd be informed about that. I tried doing a screengrab to show you what I mean, but it's saved as a .tiff file and photobucket wont let me upload it.

Nuno - I agree with you totally about the benefits of newer members contributing knowledge as they gain it, and there'd be nothing to stop that continuing if this search function was added, either by old threads being further developed, or by undiscussed facets of a previously covered topic being discussed in a new thread. I just thought if this function was available, it could enhance the strong sense of community already created by the board, as well as help get questions answered more quickly (or highlight where the forum knowledge is, um, deficient - if a new thread topic yields no search results, for example, it might be a novel topic and thus encourage the poster to discuss it).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 31/05/2009 7:02 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yeah, I guess this could be a good example for the new feature: I only tried to summarize some old threads with my post, if all were under the same thread, the original posters could resume with the discussion. :D

Posted : 31/05/2009 7:55 pm