Clear all

Tab requests

21 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I know, I've mentioned this before, but please can we have a tab request/suggestion forum? (And possibly a "STICKY - PLEASE READ!" on the ESD....... The Easy Song Database is really getting choked with requests that could be deleted after a couple of weeks or so, if no-one's replied.....there must be at least 6-7 0n every page....

It's so very rare that someone posts a tab for a song someone else has asked for....it happens, but if the requests were on a different forum - "Amyone know the riff/tab for....(Whatever) it may just generate a little more interest......

Someone recently sent me a tab of a 70's oldie I asked for on another guitar site (before I even found Guitarnoise!) .......give tab requests their own forum, I'm sure they might get more feedback - and hey, you never know, someone like me might go and tab the whole song out....in the Database of course..........

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/03/2006 7:08 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Positively brilliant, Vic! :D Great idea!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 06/03/2006 8:46 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I second, no wait, third that idea!

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 07/03/2006 2:08 am
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

I totally agree too Vic.

Also requests for strumming patterns of songs not already on the ESD maybe should go there as well or to the beginners question and answer page.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 07/03/2006 7:23 am
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I will join in.

Good, if not an excellent idea Vic. A request forum is a must. Like you say there must be six or seven on every page. but if no one is replying, whats the point :?:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 07/03/2006 8:22 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Positively brilliant, Vic! :D Great idea!

Hey Elecktrablue,

1st congrats on becoming a mod again, (you're doing a great job! 8) ),

2nd, since you agreed with Vic's idea, think you can get something done over on the ESD?

BTW, looks like you've done good things on "The Other Side". :wink:

8)
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 17/03/2006 11:13 am
(@davidhodge)

What a lot of people seem to forgot (or simply don't know because they are relatively new to Guitar Noise) is that the Easy Song Database was originally not intended to be on the Guitar Noise site in the first place. When this started, way back in November of 2003, the idea was to have an offsite ESD so (a) Guitar Noise would still not be a "TAB" site (subject to all sorts of scrutiny) and (b) that Paul wouldn't be eating all the bandwidth required for it. The ESD Forum was to be the "request line" and also serve as a trial for the TABS to make sure everyone was happy with them before they were posted in the offsite ESD.

Needless to say, it's long slipped off that track and continues to run hither and yon in just about every direction.

The original site was very cool. You could do a search for chords you knew and then get a list of songs that only used those chords. Or you could also do a traditional search by title or artist.

Instead of continuing to use something that's obviously not working, why don't we put our collective heads together and try to come up with something that stands a better chance. Maybe it's my six years here at the site, but I think we can all vouch for folks not sticking with the intended guidelines of a particular Forum page. I'm not sure if setting up a new page for requests will stop you getting requests on the ESD page. I'm willing to bet almost anything that we'd just have two different forum pages of requests, and a lot of duplicates to wade through as well.

So how about some brainstorms along these lines?

Peace

Posted : 17/03/2006 11:39 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I don't think there even needs to be a seperate forum for tab/song requests, but just something as simple as a sticky thread reading: "STICKY - PLEASE READ!" & add "ALL SONG REQUESTS GO HERE", (or something along those lines), at the top of the ESD, where all requests that are already there could be moved to, and future ones could be added to would be great. That way there wouldn't be a bunch of requests mixed in with the songs on every page.

Dan

Posted : 17/03/2006 12:11 pm
(@davidhodge)

That is certainly worth a try. Not sure what everyone else thinks, but hopefully they'll chime in soon.

Should we try this, does anyone have the time to put all the requests together in one document and email (or PM) it to me and we'll get to work on it?

Peace

Posted : 17/03/2006 12:16 pm
(@bford)
Reputable Member

The original site was very cool. You could do a search for chords you knew and then get a list of songs that only used those chords.

I don't mean to stray too far off topic but does such a site still exist today?

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

Posted : 17/03/2006 1:35 pm
(@davidhodge)

It's not off topic at all! In fact, to my thinking, it is the topic! :wink:

No. The original site is long gone. Unfortunately, as these things go, all this was gonig on at a time when Paul and everyone had a lot of other things going on and we just couldn't devote the time we probably should have to it.

Doesn't mean there couldn't be new one, though.

Peace

Posted : 17/03/2006 1:55 pm
(@bford)
Reputable Member

As a new guitarist I am always asking myself how many songs can I play with a hand full of chords? Many more than I am aware of I'm sure. Sounds as though it could be an awesome resource if the effort to maintain it wasn't too daunting?

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

Posted : 17/03/2006 2:55 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Before I got sick last year I had started a database of things in the ESD with the intention of setting it up on someone else's server. When I became ill, though, I was under the impression that PappaJohn was going to take it over, but evidently that must have fallen by the wayside. If someone can volunteer server space, I will continue what I started more than a year ago! Volunteers to help would be greatly appreciated, too! There are LOTS of posts to be gone through.

My original intention was to set it up so that you could search either by song title or by artist, by the number of chords per song, by the actual chords in any given song, whether or not there were strumming patterns available, whether the song was in standard tuning or alternate tuning and possibly by genre. Oh, and by the submitter, too.

I was going to do the databases and PappaJohn was going to do the php coding and host it on his server. I don't do php. Any volunteers? Anyone with available free server space? Anyone willing to help with databases? Please?!?!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 17/03/2006 8:53 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

EB, speak to Joe in the Super Secret Moderators forum and Snackbar

Posted : 17/03/2006 9:04 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

LOL! Will do!

Should I say "Over and Out"? Or, do I have to learn the Super Secret Moderator's handshake? :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 17/03/2006 9:07 pm
Page 1 / 2