Clear all

Fix "The Other Side" description

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

The current description for "The Other Side" is easily read as a place to talk about chicks, rather than what it's used for and what I've always thought was intended-- which is a place for the ladies to talk about, well, being a lady in a male dominated field.

Can we change the description to better reflect the actual use of the forum? Something like the following perhaps?

"A great place where people can hang out and discuss topics related to women and their music"

Or even

"A great place to hang out and talk about gender issues in music"

Although that last one probably conveys it's a hang-out for radical feminists which isn't right either.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 10/03/2006 7:29 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It's not a bad idea, though I don't think discussing gender issues is the sole province of radical feminism. So I think your second suggestion is far clearer.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 10/03/2006 7:59 pm
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

It's not a bad idea, though I don't think discussing gender issues is the sole province of radical feminism. So I think your second suggestion is far clearer.

I don't hold that view either, but I think the terminology of "gender issues" tends to point towards a certain band of the political arc. Perhaps that is a misconception on my part. I do think it's at least clear what the subject matter is, which currently doesn't seem to be the case.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 10/03/2006 8:02 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Oh come on! I've seen some funny jokes told and then the poster realized the forum ain't what they thought it was. :lol: :lol: :lol: That's pure entertainment right there!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted : 10/03/2006 10:38 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

LOL! I've definitely gotten some giggles over posts in that forum! :D As a female and a guitar player and a GN Member, I really don't think that there are too many extremely radical feminists here, if any at all. I can't speak for all of the female members, but I DO appreciate having a forum where women can discuss issues that pertain to female players and the different issues that we find ourselves up against in a "male dominated field". And I love it when you guys weigh in on our issues, too! We all are, after all, guitar players! But, I think you're right, Kingpatzer, that the title should better reflect what the forum actually is! And, I, personally, would love to see a man start a thread in the women's forum about a woman's issue in music! That would just be too cool! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 10/03/2006 10:59 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Somethings are easily done...

And I do recall the thread started by a pregnant woman asking how to manage her guitar as it slowly moved farther away, and a bunch of guys with beer guts responded...

Laz

Posted : 11/03/2006 10:14 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Laz

Excellent, Laz! :D There's nothing ambiguous about that! LOL!

"Women play guitar, too! This page is specifically for the discussion of women's topics on music in general and the guitar in particular. All genders invited to discuss things!"

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 12/03/2006 7:01 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Laz

Excellent, Laz! :D There's nothing ambiguous about that! LOL!

"Women play guitar, too! This page is specifically for the discussion of women's topics on music in general and the guitar in particular. All genders invited to discuss things!"

Thanks - but it wasn't me. You need a lot more Mojo than I have to make those types of changes...

Posted : 12/03/2006 3:01 pm