Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Website suggestions

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

1.  D. Hodges schedule of upcoming seminars.
2. Chatroom link
3. New forums - Acoustic  
-Electric
4. Way to keep track of my posts & responses - maybe I just haven't discovered it yet
Just some thoughts.  

Posted : 22/02/2004 12:12 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you go to your profile, you can display your last posts, default is 10, but you can alter it.
We've had a long discussion over the acoustic/electric thing and, for the moment at least, don't want to change anything.
There  a couple of sticky threads, which have a link to the chatroom.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 22/02/2004 9:32 am
(@sjt1316)
Trusted Member

4. Way to keep track of my posts & responses - maybe I just haven't discovered it yet

I think I've asked this before, so I'll ask again, since I'm not sure if I got a clear answer before:

Is there anyway we could add an indication that you had posted in a thread?  For example, the folders on the far left of the forum columns.  I've seen sites that put a dot on the folder if you have posted in the thread.  This way you can check "your" threads while browsing the forum, instead of having to check your profile.  

--Steve
If you're enjoying it, are you still a struggling artist??
D~~n the man, save the Empire!

Posted : 27/02/2004 4:13 pm
(@Anonymous)

I like SJT's suggestion.  I searched for ways to find my previous posts so I could check for any new replies I may have missed, but didn't find an easy way to find them.  I found my list of topics for e-mail notification, clicked on my name & then tried to bring up my last 10 posts, but my pc bogged down & didn't respond.  Tried searching for my name, but got the message I needed to enter a thread... that's the unknown element I was looking for!  Oh well, it's still a great forum site.  I'll just have to check my posts via the e-mails when I receive them.  Glad you are back online!

Posted : 29/02/2004 4:47 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Looking for your last 10 posts does bog the system, our search engine seriously needs overhaul.

The real problem is not providing the service, it's finding the resources to actually implement it. We have all our posts in a database, so accessing the information is not the problem. The problem is getting someone to sit down and write the necessary code and, then, getting that code integrated into the forum.

Paul does what he can, but he also needs volunteers to code things like what you're looking for. He would appreciate any help you can offer.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 29/02/2004 5:45 pm
(@Anonymous)

What kind of database, and what kind of interface?

Is it MySQL/PHP?, Perl, Python?  Postgres?  Does YaBB have it's own built-in DB?  If you don't know this stuff, Greybeard, Who should I ask?  Paul?  I don't know that I have a great deal more time than Paul does, but I'd be willing to look it over and see if I can contribute.

--Scratch

Posted : 29/02/2004 10:25 pm