0 Likes
18.8 K Views
(@baronvonrock)

Correction, they did at one time, apparently thats no longer the case

I am so smart! S-M-R-T!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I saw a video of one version of the Miles Davis band which showed 2 bassists. I did a recording which had 2 bass tracks playing harmony, and though they're mixed way in the background they sounded pretty nice. No clashes. In symphonic music there's often times a nice interaction between the double-bass section and the cellos, so it's all about how you write and arrange the parts.

And then there's a thread I read on talkbass (I think) ragging on Verdine White (of Earth Wind and Fire) because, they said, he mostly just dances and has backtracks going at concerts. But, another person said, it was because of the way he orchestrated the bass parts on recordings - with multiple bass parts - and that it would be impossible to do live. I sorta go with that second opinion because the guy can really play the heck out of his instrument..

It's something that's certainly fun to investigate though - having more than one bass in a band. :)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

It's something that's certainly fun to investigate though - having more than one bass in a band. :)

Once you get past the part about not enough bassists to start with...

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

As far as I know, Primus has 2 bass players.

Primus does NOT have 2 bass players. They are a trio - Les on bass, Ler on guitar, Herb on drums.

Ned's Atomic Dustbin had 2 bass players in the early 90s. I don't know about anything since then.

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote
(@ssstrat11s)
Eminent Member

The basses would either have to be completely different parts and tones, or harmonics, which were both mentioned before. But if you have even just a decent bass player do you really need 2?

A third way I suppose you could do it would be to layer the basses. All of them playing relatively little. Not neccesarily different parts of the song, but each only playing very limited amounts.

For example, the Dead's 2 or 3 drummers(I don't recall which), but each had their own distinct way of playing, and never got in the way.

The main point would be not stepping on each others toes. The bass is more of an underlying instrument, not upfront in the thick of it, so having two basses try and blend in would prove difficult.

Buckle up - It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Borrow money from pessimists, they don't expect it back.

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

A band here in brighton just has 2 bassists and a drummer, I've not heard them myself, but I'm told that it's rather good (If a little bit insane).

I don't think it would be too hard to arrange 2 basses. One could play the bassline, chords or arpegios, and the other could decorate with lead lines. Much like having 2 guitars really, but a bit less versatile.

Great fun though...

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@el_warko)
Trusted Member

For ages now i have wanted to do dueling basso's, I don't know how practical it would be though.

el_warko

ReplyQuote
(@p3_super_bee)

Tarja Turunen

2 Guitars
2 Bass Guitars (both 5 string)
1 Cello
1 Keyboard
1 Drum

Though it depends on the track if both bass & both guitars are there.

She used to be the front woman for Nightwish, back when they were good.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2