Notifications
Clear all

42 ...hard to find a band

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@martyman5000)
Topic starter  

Hi I'm new to this site :D I've been playing bass on and off (mainly off) for 20 years. For 3 or 4 years now I've really tried very hard to be in a steady band and seem to be having a difficult time. I prefer Alternative music and mainly guys my age that advertise bands are looking for classic rock or cover bar type bands. Last weekend I played with a band and had a wicked time but I think because of my age I wasn't called back. Most Ads people post are for ages 19 to 35 (I look 35) but the younger people really want young and willing to tour and look pretty :roll: I post ads telling my age and the type of music I'm into and never get replies. Anyone have problems with age discrimination or pick people because of age? It's funny that I really never thought about this until it happened to me and now I feel like I'm kicked out of the music that I enjoy playing...

(@corbind)
Noble Member

Just my belief, but I think people want band members around the same age. I post my age on music ads so they'll know if I'm too young or old. Keep looking for a band and you'll get picked up.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I don't know where you live, but try this site:

bandmix.com

It's about $10 a month to put up an ad that you're looking for a band.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@martyman5000)
Topic starter  

I post on several boards and look at band mix once in a while...I think the main problem also is that I'm an hour away from down town where most bands like to jam...

ReplyQuote
(@joerocket)

I feel you,

My band is in the same boat. We play some classic rock, and a few cover tunes, but mostly we are into Punk/alternative music. We do mostly original stuff, but as the youngest member (37) we don't get much interest for gigs. When we do play people really enjoy our stuff, so I think it is just stereotyping. :?
Bottom line is we all play because we love it. Keep loking and I'm sure you'll find some like minded musicians who play for the music not the image.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

We can all be more helpful if you both include your home location in your profile...

ReplyQuote