6 stringed bass

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 CGW
(@cgw)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just found out the coolest thing: the bass mini solo that Paul Simon playes in "Call Me Al" is on a 6-stringed bass. actually the whole bass parts in the song were.  so my quesiton is are these things hard ot come by? cause I'm lookigj to pick up bass in addition to guitar, it'd help my band out, and I figured a 6-stringed bass would help me out with the transition. what do you all think?

"Those are my principles; if you don't like them, I have others."~ Groucho Marx

(@preston)
Trusted Member

I dunno, CGW :-/ . Are you thinking that because it has 6 strings, it is more like the guitar?
BUZZZ! Wrong answer. :(

The Bass, while still a guitar, is a totally different instrument. You're playing with the drummer 1st, laying down the backbone of a tune. Then, you're also following the chord changes of the Rythym guitar (or keys).
While a song may be as simple as D, C and G, you're not playing full Chords. You're supplying the 'groove', the 'funk', the 'feel'. Whatever.

I think all new bass players should start on a 4 string (especially coming into it with guitar knowledge). The strings are still EADG, and many of the Scales are same/similar. Get the fundementals down. Save the 5 & 6 strings for when you get serious about bass.

Just my opinion. :)

"Don't try to describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it." Jimmy Buffett

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

How about that?  Is it Simon playing that, or is it Baghiti Khumalo on his fretless? (also listed)  I never noticed that Paul Simon was listed there before.  Most of the track is definately Baghiti on his fretless (doing some mean slap bass), and I think the sixer must be roughly doubling it.  That has to be the fretless soloing, though.  It has to be.

Now that I listen, it sure is.  No fretted bass ever sounded that good slapped.  I think so anyway.

But your question.  A six string isn't super hard to come by, but they're not exactly common.  You might have to order one if there aren't any in local shops.  I think you could find one.  Before you buy one, try to get your hands on one for a while just to try it out.  The necks on those thing are huge.  Monster!  My best guesstimate is about three inches across at the nut (8 cm).  That's huge.  If you can handle it, I'd say go for it.  I'd love a six string.  There's one on the wall in my local guitar shop, and I mean to play it one day.

I doubt very much that it would help any in a guitar to bass transition.  It's tuned differently, and it's a different size.  It might even confuse things further.  You'd probably be okay, and come out about the same as if you had picked up a four string.  With one big difference.  You'd have extra high and low end.  Would you use that?  If you don't think you'll use the high string much, just get a five string.  To be honest, a four string would probably be sufficient for anything you'd want to do.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a six string.  Like I said before, I want one very much myself.  But then, I've been playing bass (and guitar) for a while, and I have had an oppurtunity to learn about what I need in a bass.  I'm trying to tell you that you do not need to switch to a six string.  No way.  But if a sixer is the bass that fits your needs, then go for it.

So, a six string won't make the transition easier.  A five string will give you the extra low end without the massive neck (still a little big).  A four string is plenty in most situations.  An exception might be if your guitarists use a lot of drop tunings.  If you need that high C (sixers go BEADGC), that is the reason for a six string.  Not gonna make the switch easier.

ReplyQuote
 CGW
(@cgw)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Guys. yes, mayeb it wouldn't be the best one ot start one, although I'd love ot try it once I get the hang of it. I listened to "Call ME Al" several more times, I'm pretty sure I've read that it's Simon's Solo, but I can see what you mean, it does sound fretless. I knew the rest of the bass was a doubling of the two. I dunno. either way I love the sound. ther are some high notes (relatively anyway) that I thikn must be just paul... either way, it's a good song, isn't it?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It sure is a good song.

ReplyQuote
 CGW
(@cgw)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

yes it sure is. and regardless of what he's playing, Bakithi Kumalo is very talented. So is paul Simon, of course, just not realyl a bass player. I listened again, you can definately tell there are two basses, and one of them is hitting high stuff while the fretless does the...the hard ot describe thingy where it slides up a half step or whatever. you know what I'm talking about.

here's to good music!

ReplyQuote