Skip to content
acoustic bass vs el...

Notifications
Clear all

acoustic bass vs electric, where your playing thumb goes....

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I play guitar currently, but I'd like to get into bass too. I dont wanna spend too much money, so I've been thinking about possibly getting an acoustic bass, thus not having to buy an amp. When I see a lot of bassists play, they anchor their thumb on the pickup top edge, but with acoustic, there is no pickup, could this be a problem? I wanna learn finger stlye, not picking for bass. Thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@g-bass)
Trusted Member

I was wondering that too. I'm guessing you use the bridge? :S

G-Bass
Play bass, it just plain rules!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It won't be a problem; there's no reason you have to anchor. There's a lot of debate over whether it's best to anchor or not, just like there is about anchoring on the guitar. Be warned, acoustic basses are a little on the quiet side, and you'll probably want at least a small amp for any gigging you do. Still, they're very cool, and should be fine for practicing. I wish I had one, but it's not top on my list of instrument priorities.

ReplyQuote
(@el_warko)
Trusted Member

When I play my acoustic, I rest my forarm on the body so no anchor is required.

el_warko

ReplyQuote
(@doudouggin)
Eminent Member

One popular method that is taught for anchoring is used on both the accuistic bass and the electric bass. Place your thumb on the string next to the string you are getting ready to pluck. This is also known as a muting technique. It helps the string that you are plucking be the only string that is making any sound. There are other muting techniques that are used with the left hand also. This is the first thing that one should learn to do when playing bass, espeacially if you already know how to play a regular guitar. The other way to mute using the right hand is to use the palm of your hand, thus plucking the notes with your thumb and other fingers like a fingerstyle guitarist. This can be easier but requires that you examine the attack that your fingers are offerring the strings. If one finger attacks the string with a different tone shape then your notes within a walking bass line may sound weird. I took like one or two lessons to learn the two or three ways one is suggested to use when playing bass and I chose the one that my body could adapt to the quickest. I should have tried the most popular and most versatile one that I explained to you in the beginning but I wimped out and chose the thumb and finger palm muting technique. It just came to me easier. The problem is you don't get the speed or the same attack that you get with resting the thumb on the string. The pickup rest thing is another way but it isn't the most advantageous either. Go get a lesson and discover what works for you.

ReplyQuote
(@doudouggin)
Eminent Member

Ok, this posts is old and probably not even being watched anymore by the original person so why bring it back to the top???

ReplyQuote