Clear all

Active bass batteries

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So how do you know when your active bass has just about sucked the batteries dry, is there any indication like a change in tone, output volume, do they start to cut out, or is it just a matter of you are playing one minute and the next you aren't?

I'm hoping it's not another issue of strings, where it's subjective about when to change them, but on the other hand I like the idea that if I were to put a pair of new batteries in my bass it might suddenly sound like I was a pro player. I'm assuming once the batteries get close to dead it's probably hard to miss and they prob die flat out (might get a small charge for a min or to when you first start playing but it drops out fast).

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Typically (not always), unless you have an active/passive switch, then dead battery = dead bass. This is because without the switch, there's no way for the signal to bypass the unpowered on-board preamp.

You might begin to notice a weak signal or distortion prior to the battery going completely dead, but there's no guaranty.

Be sure to always unplug your bass when not in use, as this should help prolong the battery life. Batteries should last several months, maybe even more than a year, from what I've read.

Still, I just bought a box of pro-grade 9v batteries to keep in my gear bag.

Edit: I found this at the Ernie Ball / Music Man site:
Average battery life is 3 months. We recommend Duracell batteries as replacements. Do not leave your bass plugged in when you have finished playing, this will drain your battery. Battery life depends on how often or how long you play. When the sound of your bass becomes distorted, it's ready for a new battery.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I don't leave it plugged in while not in use, kind of a hassle but not that big a deal. I have a footswitch that I bought that I almost never have used because it's too much hassle to plug in for bedroom playing (and it too is on if it's plugged in and runs off a 9v).

I was curious mostly because the batteries in my bass came with it, I don't know how old they are, I might have to swap em out to see but I don't think they are causing a problem yet.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

It's a good question. I'm hoping my bass will give me some sort of warning before the batteries go (mine takes two.) I'd hate to have to swap them mid-song during church service. I should probably go put a fresh set in, just to be on the safe side ... don't know when the previous owner last changed them.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I don't have an active switch and mine also requries 2 9v's, if I was playing live anywhere I'd definitely want to know how old my batteries really were (so I'd change them then if I was still working with the ones that came with it).

ReplyQuote