Clear all

Basic rhythms

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I must admit right now that i don't play bass, but I play a major part in constructing my bands songs and have made up a few bass lines and stuff.

I have noticed however, that in most music on the radio these days, all the songs have basic bass patterns and follow a certain rhythm.

So I wanted to ask, if people know of some bog standard rhythms for the bass, for 4/4 timing.

I know you could play a note on the first beat for the whole bar, then change it next bar. I also know there's a popular one recently of a note on the second (or first) beat, then two on the 4th (or 3rd).

Any others that are a standard? Mainly focusing on, such and such produces a sound suitable for sad/happy/quick songs or whatever.

Thanks very much for any help.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Another popular pattern is dotted rhythm, like duuh-dut, duuh-dut, where the first note is long, like a quarter note length, but added to it is half of the next quarter note length; so the first note is a 'note and a half' followed by the half of the other. They usually write it out as a quarter with a dot, followed by an eighth.

And then more driving rhythms with all eighth note lengths - 2 reps for each beat in the measure.

And the 3/4 type 'waltz' feel is kinda nice sometimes.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!

Anyone got any others?

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@katrat)

I would like to see more too. Being a beginner, I'm trying to match up beats with songs and I'd like to have more variety in my playing. Thanks!

ReplyQuote