Clear all

String gauges.....

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK I'm pretty familiar with string gauges on acoustic guitars etc - but when it comes to Bass, I haven't a clue - my bass is still wearing the "factory" strings and I don't know what gauge they are......

Anyway, I'm going to change the strings in the AM - the replacements are Rotosound strings, gauges are 045, 065, 080 and 105 - are these heavy, light, medium or what?

The sound I'm looking to get is a kind of low, growly rumble - Brit readers, think Jean-Jacques Burnel of the Stranglers.....or think of the bassline on "Cold Turkey".....or the Jack Bruce basslines on "Sunshine of your Love" or "Badge"......

Should I get lighter or heavier strings next time? I still like very light strings on my electric and my main acoustic - I use D'Addario 9's - and I use 11's on my other acoustic, set up for slide.......but when it comes to bass, I think I'd rather have thick strings - the thicker the string, the deeper the tone, right?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hey Vic!

The sets starting with .045 are pretty much the 'standard' gauge set. I think most basses come with .045s from the factory. Some companies call that 'light gauge', some 'medium.'

For me, I like the Roto sets starting with .040; 'light' gauge I would think. Or maybe that would be extra light. Sir Paul uses .040s (I think), on his Hofner so I sorta agree with that. .050s are a little on the heavy side for me but I think they're thought of as medium or medium-heavy. I mean, you can still get away with playing heavier strings if your setup is done right.

As far as the growly rumble, that might be a combination of things, maybe lower (BEAD) tuning, and/or flatwound strings. I've read somewhere that Bruce had that rumbly sound partly due to his having a short-scale EB-0 Gibson, and flatwounds. But then he also had his tech install that little doo-hickey fuzz circuit in his bass as well.

Then there's the issue of amps and stuff, but bascially, .045s is a perfect place to start experimenting with. I sometimes get a pretty growly tone, almost fretless at times, from a combination of the lighter (.040) string sets - which are also flatwound - and then having them on a short-scale bass. If I want a little more twang I pick up my 34" scale 5 string which is strung with roundwound .045s, and for something in between, it's a 34" scale with the Roto flat .040s. Get kind of an array of things that can be used.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote