Clear all

bass amp farting out

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i picked up a vintage randall RBA 500 bass head about a month ago and during soundcheck before a gig i was having some farty sound. i thought it was a blown speaker but ive got it hooked to the cab and turned down now. no matter what i set the gain or volume to the signal distorts if you play hard enough. in my other amps, i cant get the same effect so its my understanding that amps are supposed to sound clean no matter the signal level (to a logical extent of course). im not sure whether ive got a cap going out (this amp was made in 1981), or if i needs to do some serious pot cleaning, but i cant use this rig until this problem is fixed.. ive got a gig may 5th and i need an amp to play through.. any help?

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i swear everything i post doesnt get a reply.. ive asked about 6 or 7 questions now. this community is obviously dead. im moving to talkbass

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hi Derek,
I think the issue is that you've already done most of the first level testing required, and narrowed it down to a gain problem somewhere inside the amp. So there isn't much to respond to. You need to take it to a tech.
I hope this helps.
Laz

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Derek, I did read your question when you wrote it but I don't know the answer.

Good luck in talkbass!

ReplyQuote