Clear all

Bass in a guitar amp

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@questionmark)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi everybody, came home to my parents over christmas and I have my bass but strangely my bass amp is in my apartment. But what I do have is a Fender Deluxe guitar amplifier, so I plugged in my bass and I really like the sound. With the tube amp and the nice reverb you get this sort of vintage bas sound, even from a sqaucky fender squier bass!

So my question is this: I would really like to use the guitar amp for my bass even while playing live, the volume is loud enough but is it possible to have the "bass" feel and feeling from a guitar amp?

Hope you understand what I mean even though I may write a bit strange:)

peace in our time

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The speaker may blow because guitar speakers aren't designed to handle the larger cone-movement required by the lower bass frequencies. Also usually guitar amp/combos are open in the back, whereas bass amp/combos (even just the separate cabinets) are usually totally closed; to increase the low notes, but also to control the movement of the cone. You can use a guitar amp to practice with, but at low volumes.

ReplyQuote
(@questionmark)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks alot, any good idea on how to get close to that sound on a bass amp? (if you know what sound I'm talking about...)

peace in our time

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You could try an overdrive pedal. There's several great brands out there. Some bass amps have distortion/overdrive controls included with the rest.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Maybe compression, it really gives that powerful THUMP.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Just as a sidenote, the original bass amp, the Fender Bassman, was 45 watts tube powered through 4 10" speakers in an open backed cabinet.
But then again, those amps were certainly not designed to be played loud, and the bass parts of the time(1951) didn't require huge low-end.

ReplyQuote