Clear all

Bass On Hi-Fi

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@introuble)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi i was wondering if i is ok to play my bass through a Hi-fi System..wiill there be any damage to the hi-fi ?

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If you don't crank the volume it would be okay - for awhile. Hi-Fi's have all these tweeters and mid range drivers (speakers) in them, and though they sound great, and you can hear a full spectrum of your sound, the drivers are usually no capable of handling sudden loud sounds. Usually what they get from the rest of the system is a compressed, even sound, but playing an actual instrument through them can make them go beyond their design limits. In other words, they're great sounding (all these parts of the speakers) but they're not strong enough in construction to accept a live instrument.

If you had a POD or similar type preamp, it would be better, but it's still not recommended.

You can think of it as a piece of canvas stretched wide and it's supporting a large painting of a pile of boulders. Plugging a bass into the hi-fi would be like putting that actual pile of boulders on the canvas. It'll tear.

ReplyQuote
(@metallifan)
Estimable Member

And if you are thinking of putting ur bass thru a hi-fi instead of a bass amp you'll find that the Show Me What You Can Do POD will be more expensive than a beginner bass amp.

Even though the Bass > POD > Hi-fi would not be recommend.

This is my rifle, this is my gun; this is for fighting, this is for fun!

ReplyQuote