8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 dale
(@dale)
Topic starter  

hey i need sum help  ??? can ne1 tell me the best way
to write a bass solo  thx

if u have noticed this notice you will have noticed this notice isnt actually a notice thank you for noticing my notice

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Do you mean a bass solo like in a band situation, or more like unaccompanied solo where you're playing the melody and chords and harmony and everything? -- like Jaco's Portrait of Tracy?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I know him and he means in a punk band with guitar and drums.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

A solo in a punk band?  ??? ;)   Three chords for 2 minutes 15 seconds, no solo, next song!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Actually there are probably quite a few bass solos in punk songs, even the 2:15 minutes.  A recent one that comes to mind is in "Hate to Say I Told You So" by the Hives.

I would start from the song's progression, either the verse, the chorus or something related to one or the other.  8 bars is a good length to begin with or even 4.

Try to aim for a good melody.  That's the main thing.  

It's hard to go into the details unless you posted the actual chord progression of the song and I just wrote one for you.  

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

My Generation!  You cannot tell me that song aint punk.  Great bass solo too.  Great bassist!

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Over in rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz one of the guys said recently that whenever he's asked to do a bass solo, he simply keeps playing what he was playing as other instruments drop out and nobody seems to realize he didn't actually "solo."

I would bet that playing the same thing with a little rhythmic and/or passing tone enhancement could be a great solo -- maybe closer to a drum break than a guitar solo. You really don't want the bass to wander too far from the groove or the feel is lost.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

"Slow Ride" is a good example of a tasteful bass solo.  As recommended above, the solo adds a little flair to the normal running bassline, but doesn't go off course.

-Laz

ReplyQuote