Clear all

Bass Speaker

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys. My friends bass amp has gone and we are looking for a new one. From what i gather its a 15" 4 ohm speaker (but it may be 12"). Its the speaker for sure. I emailed Yorkville (the amp maker) but they dont reply i guess. I was wondering what is the best speaker for it?

aka Izabella

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

There's a lot of brands that are all good. First, find out the exact diamter of the speaker. It's most likely a 15". Then make sure it's a 'bass' speaker which always have a bigger magnet and are more heavy duty in general. You might look up a few places on google, searching for '15 inch bass speaker' or similar. You may not purchase the thing from these places, but at least you can get an idea of the specs on it.

Then, if you can, depending on where you live, you might be able to get something with similar specs and a good price locally. Like at a music shop, or amp repair place. Depending on what sort of amp he has and the quality of the speaker, it might also be worthwhile (if it's a good one or some vintage one) taking it into a speaker repair place and having it fixed. For me, living in California, I'd probably just go and order a 15" from Carvin, but also in this location are electronic shops and Radio Shacks and whatnot.

A side note: try and get a speaker that's rated the same (or higher) wattage than the original speaker.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

And make sure the new speaker is also a 4 ohm speaker.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

would 8 ohms not work? The guy at yorkville (amp maker) sent me an e-mail back with the manual in it in pdf form. It says speaker load is 4 ohms minimum.

Also would a subwoofer for caraudio work? Like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7929263390&category=38647 .

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

would 8 ohms not work? The guy at yorkville (amp maker) sent me an e-mail back with the manual in it in pdf form. It says speaker load is 4 ohms minimum.

Also would a subwoofer for caraudio work? Like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7929263390&category=38647 .

Either 4 or 8 ohms would work fine, but you'll get more power into/out of the 4 ohm.

A true subwoofer usually has very little mids or highs, and so doesn't work well as a stand-alone speaker. Also, the auction describes a "dual voice coil" which would not be what you're looking for.

But for $10, it might be worth a try.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

hows about just a woofer? Like one that is in a PA speaker.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

That could work. Just remember to get a heavy duty one, one that has a high wattage rating. PA speakers, even the woofers, sometimes are not designed to pump out powerful bass frequencies. They can 'present' the frequency but not create it, unless the PA speaker is the kind used in sound-reinforcement, where pretty much everything is heavy duty and the woofers are not only able to put out bass guitar frequencies but also kick drum power. In other words, just because the speaker is the right size and is rated to reproduce the correct frequency range of the bass guitar, will not guarantee that it will be strong enough (high enough wattage, big enough magnet) to take the power straight from the bass amp. Some PAs are heavy-duty and some are more like larger, louder hi-fi systems, and the components, like in a hi-fi, might be able to reproduce the tones and frequencies, but not the power. Like plugging your bass into a hi-fi: you can hear the notes, but as soon as you play hard, the speaker cone cracks or the voice coil fries. Live music has a lot more volume peaks than pre-recorded music, which is compressed and evened out somewhat.

Just see if you can get something heavy-duty. The speaker that is dead, what was it rated at?

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

no idea, there were basically no identifying marks on it. The amp is like 95 watts though. I was just looking for one thats around 100-120 watts

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

What about this?

Its a weber

Ceramic California 15 (Bass)
General purpose bass driver
*********| Lows
*| Mids
****| Highs
**| Crunch/Texture
********| Breakup Level
High Power Series (Bass Speaker)
15", 60oz ceramic magnet, 80 watt, 2" voice coil, straight cone....... $105 plus shipping
'California 15' bass speaker. Loud, smooth, uncolored, EV-ish.

http://www.webervst.com/crossref.htm

Pic - -

or this

Replaces higher powered 15's for a clean, smooth tone.
*****| Lows
***| Mids
******| Highs
*| Crunch/Texture
*************| Breakup Level
15", 110oz ceramic magnet, 100 watt, 2-1/2" voice coil, curved cone. Very Loud, smooth, uncolored, huge low end like an EV.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yah, something like those. Nice specs.

I was looking at this too:

http://carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=PS15&CID=RSPK

ReplyQuote