Clear all

bass string gauge

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

When I had my bass I never changed the strings.  Now that I sold that thing and got serious about 6 string guitar I change my strings every 2 (max 3) weeks.  Anyway, I never knew even 1/100th of what I know now about guitar or bass.  Yet does anyone want to offer opinions on what the "normal/most-used" bass string gauges used for 4 string?  My brother's guitar is an Ibanez SR800 he bought about 10 years ago.  It should be similar to the one I had:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031218170355012026200121001701/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/519508/

Further, if you can determine the string gauge would you speculate if it's stainless steel, NPS, nickel, bronze, plutonium, whatever?  I'd like to buy a set of strings for his guitar.  Then I'll give his guitar a good detailed cleaning and some new strings so he won't have to change them for another ten years!  :-)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Just as guitar strings come in different families, usually defined by the size of the high E string (.011 = medium, .010 = light, .009 = super light), bass strings also come in families.  The G string usually varies between .040 and .050, and the fat E string can range from 0.90 to .110.  I think a nominal heavy set would be something like .045 - .105.  If you buy them in a pack, then they will likely be tension balanced properly.

If you don't want to have to change them for a while, try the Elixirs.  I like them.

But there are a zillion different brands and styles, each claiming a diferent sound.

Your mileage may vary...

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Even though I have no bass of my own yet, I do like Rotosound strings - every bass I've played with them on sounds different... cooler. If they're good enough for Jaco Pastorius, they're good enough for us Godammit! ;)

ReplyQuote