Clear all

Bassist Hero Worship

34 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@petrix)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Last night I went to a Muse concert (have you heard of them in America?), and I have to say they put on one of the best shows your ever likely to see.
 I don't know the bassists name, but he is truly brilliant.

Being as bassists are usually overlooked, I don't really know who the amazing bassists are (the Hendrixes and Pages of the bass world).

Obviously there's Flea, but I don't actually like the showy stuff he does on most of the Chillis stuff (His playing on "by the way" sounds pretty good).
 And Sting is a famous bassist, but not a brilliant one.

Who else is there? I need someone to hero worship!

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

(@Anonymous)

The Muse bassist is brilliant, his name's Dominic I think.

There's some cracking bass players around - Krist Novoselic (Nirvana), John Entwhistle (The Who), James Johnston (Biffy Clyro), John Deacon (Queen), Flea (RHCP, and I really like the technical stuff he busts out on songs like Under The Bridge), Paul McCartney (who is LEFT HANDED, people... ;))... the list goes on. The main reason that 99% of these people wouldn't be known on the street is because the lead guitarist usually gets the credit regardless.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Who did one of the rare bass solo albums? I'd like to hear that...

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Stuart Hamm is , I believe a very accomplished bassist that has put out a mostly bass recording or two (early 80's being better).  Another fella is Randy Coven.  Those guys are in the progressive, funk, blues-rock/metal areas.  

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Let's not forget Les Claypool and Jaco Pastorius.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

That's it! Jaco Pastorius! When I made my original post, I turned my brain practically upside down looking for his name. Ah... one of the innovators of the fretless bass and one of the first users of Rotosound strings.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

And those amazing harmonics.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Jason Newstead is an incredibly under-rated bass player. Most Metallica fans can't remember what day it was yesterday, let alone why Newstead left. They treated him like crap, and now they're stuck with hairy Mexican Rob Trujillo, and Jason is making a fair bit of cash with Ozzy Osbourne.

ReplyQuote
(@preston)
Trusted Member

If I have to remind everyone of Dusty Hill of ZZ Top, I'm gonna be upset.

If I have to mention Geddy Lee of Rush, I might get perturbed.

If I need to remind everyone of Gene Simmons of KISS, I'll be very angry.

If I have to introduce you to Bootsy Collins, THE Grandmaster of Funkadelic Bass Guitar,...expect a call from my attourney in the morning! :P

"Don't try to describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it." Jimmy Buffett

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, i'm so uncultured, I've not heard of most of these people :-[, but I guess thats why I started this thread ;D

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
(@daria)
Trusted Member

I love the way Matt Freeman from Rancid plays (especially in Maxwell Murder). He may not be Jaco Pastorius, but he is one of my favorites; my personal bass hero. :)

"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hi,
Ive only been playing or 2 months ad i would just like to say 'gud on ya' Petrix for going to see Muse they are my favourite band ever and justto note the bassists name is Chris Wolstenholme not Dominic Howard, he is the drummer.
Matt Bellamy is pretty cool too.
cya

ReplyQuote
(@deaky)
Eminent Member

G'day, first time poster, short time reader :)

I might be a bit biased but I think John Deacon from Queen is quite the bassist...after all he does play the bass, heh. I think that his bass playing combined with:

a) His hair
b) His dancing
c) His choice of clothing....*shudder* Microscopic shorts

makes/made him an integral part of Queen :)

Oh, and at the moment I haven't played the bass guitar but I have played the clarinet and the Euphonium before, and I've finally decided to pick up the bass guitar..after all, who doesn't need a bass player. :)

You're my best friend but another one bites the pressure!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

A lot of bass players are under-rated.  Some may be able to lay down a back bone and not be able to do a great solo.  Some can solo and can't do a perfect rythym.  Some are really good at both.  Opinions vary.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Over the last couple of weeks Ive been listening very carefully to different bassists.

I think Sting is a great bassist. Although his basslines (for the Police) where simple, they were brilliantly effective, and are an integral part of the music. He has a real talent for picking out just the right bass notes, and rhythm.
 Also, Paul McCartney is very talented. His basslines are quite complex, but compliment the songs well. And who could forget "Come together". Great song.

I agree, John Deacon was an essential part of the Queen line up, and he wrote the most simple and effective Bass line ever; "Pressure".

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3