Skip to content
Compressors/Limiter...

Notifications
Clear all

Compressors/Limiters; general bass effects...

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@marquis)
Topic starter  

G'Day everyone.

I've got a few months of bass under my belt. And just got a gig with a local cover (eventually originals) band. I'm pretty satisfied. The guys got a descent practice space, the motivation to gig out and make some cash. Past that, I think we have a diverse ensemble of musical tastes/influences. And I think that will go a long way towards original writing...when we get there though.

But I digress.

I currently have a Peavey TNT 115 bass amp, with the tweater http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/481381?src ="HC004" . And a Peavey Millenium BXP bass guitar http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/511369/ . (I know...the whole Peavey setup, but hell man...it sounded the best at the store! LOL)

I'm wondering about some gigging veteran experience with Compressors/Limiters in a live situation? Anyone got any valuable experiences or what I should NOT buy? [We are playing classic rock covers, some Floyd and U2, and some grungy/heavier things (but nothing close to heavy metal).] I like my sound now. Large, very full, and strong enough. Even so, just currious if a compressor would enhance my tone in a live situation?

Past that...I've read a few articles about Mult-Effect Pedals (such as the Zoom, Behringer or Boss). And am wondering about people's gigging experience with these as well. My budget hovers right around 400$...so I can't go to the rack idea yet. But I do like the idea of a tuner and some chorus or distortion every so often?

Anyways...I would appreciate any advice, comments or concerns about my setup and search (or long ago post that I haven't found) writing about this. We are scheduled to gig out in about 1 month and I want to get something soon (if needed) and be on top of my sound before opening night.

Thanks everyone...

And I've been enjoying reading the forum...has helped my playing quite a bit. Gracias to everyone.

"Music heard so deeply that it is not heard at all, but you are the music while the music lasts." -T.S. Eliot-

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If you're happy with your sound - and who wouldn't be if it was "Large, very full, and strong enough" great description - then...why mess with it?

A compressor's usually used to 'even out' the sound, taking peaks out when you hit the strings too hard or something. For a classic cover type band, maybe you could get one (or at least try one out somewhere), and adjust it to a low level. If your notes are coming out nice and even anyhow, with it getting loud only when you want it to, then, you could just stick with what you got.

But as for the distortion and stuff: Yah, sounds like you should go and try some things out if you can. I've heard good things and bad things about the multi-effect type units, but as a bassist, maybe you won't need a whole bunch anyway. A distortion maybe...a compressor, maybe a bass-chorus unit.

For the single units, me personally, I'd just get BOSS products. I don't know anything about the multi-effect units though, so luckily someone will come in here and post.

Take care and keep having fun with it!

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
(@marquis)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the for the comments and opinions Demo...

I'll more than likely stick with what I have. I'm satisfied, but ALWAYS want more toys! (I'm with you, a chorus and perhaps a bit of compression...that would be what I'm after. Something to mix up and change my sound every so often, and more subtle than pronounced.)

But your advice is well recieved. Appreciate you taking the time.

PS. Learned a lot from reading your old posts too Demo. It is good to have a wise man on the premises. Thanks.

"Music heard so deeply that it is not heard at all, but you are the music while the music lasts." -T.S. Eliot-

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You've got a lot of tone options with 2 pickups, plus you can change where you pluck (closer to bridge or neck), and of course pick vs fingers, all at no extra charge.

A compressor is helpful for recording, and for live situations where you may be using slap/pop or other serious dynamic variations.

Chorus for bass can sound good, or very muddy, try before you buy.

Sounds like you're having fun!

Laz

ReplyQuote