Clear all

Curious about the bass...

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So I actually play (well...kind of play) the guitar but recently I have been interested in both the bass and the guitar. I was wondering if some of you bass players could tell me some plus and minuses of the bass compared to the actual six stringged guitar, if there are any.

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've been playing guitar for many years, though I've only taken it seriously the last couple - and I've been playing bass for a few months.

Plusses to playing bass...only playing single notes or runs as opposed to complex chords, it's pretty simple to pick up the basics quickly (root notes) and then improve and improvise, the extra stretching will improve your hand strength and flexibility....

Minusses - the extra scale length and larger distances between frets make it difficult to adapt at first if you're used to guitar....the weight of the four string beastie makes it a lot more of a strain on your shoulder

But to be honest, I've had so much fun playing bass the last few weeks, i tend to disregard negatives and turn them into positives...and it'll REALLY build up those callouses in a hurry!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Bass is fun in that you get to constantly improvise. You have a lot more freedom, usually, than most rhythm guitar players.

As Vic mentioned, it's very easy to pick up and to get playing. But if you want to get beyond the basics of bass in a hurry you need to learn about chord and scale construction. Bass players often (not always) know more theory than guitarists. Personally, that's a "plus" in my book but it can be a "minus" for others.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, David's right on the mark. I started playing bass in addition to guitar a few months back and have the (perhaps delusional) feeling that I have a much better understanding of the music I'm playing. I think working on bass is helping me improve my guitar skills. That's a clear plus. And it is a blast.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

A definite plus, after playing the bass for 10 minutes (although I can't really play but I don't let that stop me) a regular 6 string guitar feels like you're fretting marshmallows, not strings.

Also if you want to join a band you can do that quicker and easier if you're playing the bass. Although this might be a misconception on my part.

Oktay

ReplyQuote