Clear all

Picking out the bass.

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@galis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I havn't really posted here in a long time hehe, but I felt it about time I should ask an imprtant question on playing bass.

I was having a discussion with a friend about listening to bass in songs, and we both have agreed that it's hard to hear the bass playing in the background of more then a few of the songs we listen too.
Are there any tricks to hearing the bass over the guitars and drums as well vocals that play along aside it.

Any feedback or tips would help.

New goal #1: Buy an amp.
New goal #2: Buy a 5-string.
New goal #3: Get better then OWA at music.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Well...no straight way really...

Depends upon your ear senstivity...

What songs do you listen to ..what artists?

OR start playing bass..then you will definatly figure it out without any problems :wink:

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Some songs are just really hard to hear the bass in. Especially in heavy songs, it's sometimes barely audible.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

As I wrote in one of the lessons, if you can't hear the bassline on the orginal, then you can't play it wrong.

Sometimes, it can help to turn up the bass EQ a little.

There are lots of songs where the bass is important, and many others where it doesn't matter at all.

What bands/styles do you like?

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

hey laz ...might sound crazy and off topic but the presentation style of you and me fairly match.

Just look at the above post of mine and then yours :wink:

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@galis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well I have tried turning the bass EQ up a little and it does help with hearing the bass over the rest. Some songs it unfortunetly just makes it a little more difficult or doesn't help.

Recently during practice sessions I've been attempting the intros to songs I like by listening to the bass, or at least trying. As for your question I have a lot that I listen too, pretty wide variety from rock to metal and close to everything in between.

Right now I've been learning songs by Kittie, Alien Ant Farm, Creed and surprisingly attempted Nirvana's Breed, which ended a little worse then I figured at the start. Im pretty sure i broke a rib laughing at my own mistakes, I'm glad noone was around to hear it.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If I'm working out a tab for "Easy Songs" I like to listen through headphones - you'd be amazed how much clearer things sound without any background distractions!!!!

Sounds like a bit of a no-brainer, but sometimes the blindingly obvious needs to be pointed out!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I know this may not help now but when albums were in use, you could speed up the RPMs and pick out the bass line easy as pie. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

If I'm working out a tab for "Easy Songs" I like to listen through headphones - you'd be amazed how much clearer things sound without any background distractions!!!!

Sounds like a bit of a no-brainer, but sometimes the blindingly obvious needs to be pointed out!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic
Yeah, that's a good one. I was never able to even hear all three basses in "D's Diner", by Les Claypool, until I listened to it with headphones.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Very correctly said vic...headphones are a great invention by any measure :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@galis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help all of you! It was worth asking.

ReplyQuote