Clear all

I seem to have acquired a bass.......

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So, now I have to learn to play it! I'm figuring that I should start out the same way I did on guitar and mandolin, i.e., learn the fretboard, scales, basic riffs, etc.... My question(s) for y'all would be:

Is there anything in particular I need to be careful of (like the bad habits I already have on the guitar and mandolin), or pay particular attention to? Since the bass has the same basic tuning as a mandolin - GDAE - I think I may have a general idea of scales, but, if you know for a fact that this isn't so, since one has four strings and one has eight, please let me know so I won't waste a whole bunch of time doing the wrong thing!!! Please! I've already gone through GN's bass section and visited a couple of other sites like ActiveBass.com and CyberfretBass.com and picked up some good advice from all of them.

I also have some questions about slapping. I'm sure everyone has their own way of doing it and I would be greatly interested in hearing about some of them! Any tidbits of advice, any warnings, any neat riffs will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Mandos are tuned in fifths, no? The E is the high string.

On a bass, it's fourths, the E string is the bottom string - E A D G - low to high, so it's like the four low strings on a guitar.

I don't play in the slap style but I do know that you basically slap over the high frets of the fretboard. Your thumb strikes the string inward toward you, but it's the string that actually 'slaps' against the frets to get that sound. Some guys use the tips of their other fingers to strike the string instead of their thumbs; just so long as the string thonks the frets.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Congrats on the bass! You're going to have a lot of fun with it.

First, the tuning, as DemoEtc points out, is actually the same as the lower four strings of the guitar only the notes are an octave lower -

From low to high - E A D G

Because you don't have to deal with the guitar's pesky B string, you'll find all the scales you already know on the guitar will transfer easily to bass.

The best slapping advice I can give you (and I'm truly not much of a slapper) is to make sure to strike the string with the small bone that's jut off the joint of the thumb. The best places to strike the string are usually right where the neck meets the body of the guitar or close by the saddle area. On my bass (an old Danelectro), I get the best slaps close to the neck pick-up. You'll have to play around a bit to get the feel but once you do you'll find it very easy and a lot of fun.

Keep us updated on how things are coming.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I recommend slapping with the tip of your thumb. I find that it hurts to slap with the joint, and using the tip of your thumb gives you better leverage, like a drumstick or something.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I can also heartily recommend James 'Wheat' Martin's free, online Bass Book.

It's an excellent resource for the beginning through intermediate bass player. Check it out.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

hey hbriem , i had been wondering where you been...

Bass forums gone kinda cold without ya...

Welcome Bud :wink:
Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Thanks. I've been around and checking in regularly. Just haven't had the time to post much.

See you around. Happy new year.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

After a very quick glance, that looks an excellent beginner's resource, Helgi, thanks for posting it - maybe you could post it somewhere a little more prominent? Perhaps ask Nick or David - whoever's doing the next newsletter - to give it a mention?

Thanks again for the link,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

After a very quick glance, that looks an excellent beginner's resource, Helgi, thanks for posting it - maybe you could post it somewhere a little more prominent? Perhaps ask Nick or David - whoever's doing the next newsletter - to give it a mention?

Great idea, Vic! I'm on it...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all for your great information! I love GN! :D And I think I'm going to have a blast with the bass! I noodled around a bit last night, not knowing at all what I was doing, but I managed to figure out a few things. This is definitely going to be fun! I predict you'll be seeing a lot more of me in the bass forum in the future! Thanks again!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Great idea, Vic! I'm on it...

Peace

Helgi;

Please add this as a Reply to the "Bass Resources" sticky thread. I'd do it, but this way you get full credit!

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I can also heartily recommend James 'Wheat' Martin's free, online Bass Book.

It's an excellent resource for the beginning through intermediate bass player. Check it out.

Thank you, hbriem!!! That's a great learning site! I've spent all morning there! Thank you!!! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

'lektra --

Congrats on your new toy! Have fun with it.

As you've no doubt noticed, the string and fret spacing are a wee bit bigger than on your guitar, and a WHOLE lot bigger than your mandolin. The few times I've picked up a guitar, I just marvel at how anyone can get anything done in such a crowded space. :wink:

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Just as an aside, her subject line sounds an awful lot like "It followed me home. Can I keep it?" :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

Just as an aside, her subject line sounds an awful lot like "It followed me home. Can I keep it?" :lol:

I promise I'll take care of it! :P

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2