Does anyone use the big fat B string?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@metallifan)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I bought a American Fender Jazz V about 9 months ago mainly because it was a cheap nice bass and in good condition.

However, i don't very much use the 5th string, the low B string and find that it gets in the way and makes Slapping awkward.

What can you recommend or say on the matter?

Cheers

This is my rifle, this is my gun; this is for fighting, this is for fun!

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I play a four string, and I use the big fat B flat. I'm tuned Bb, F, C, G. I find the low pitched string musically useful, so I tune it that way. Since I think it's useful, I recommend learning to use it. Lots of guys play five string basses, and it doesn't get in their way, and most of them probably slap at least sometimes. For the record, I haven't found five (or six) strings uncomfortable the few times I've played them. Your problem is just lack of practice. On a four string, can you slap all the strings, or just the low E? If the answer is E only, then I can tell you that without a doubt, you just need a little more work. And I strongly recommend doing the work, because slapping on the lowest string alone is pretty boring.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I voted 4, but I only have one bass currently. I will absolutely be getting a Rockbass by Warwick 5 string. It is just a matter of time. The Rockbass by Warwick is a great bass for a great price. It's action is sweet and the sound is huge.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I play a four string, and I use the big fat B flat. I'm tuned Bb, F, C, G.

Ah yes, the Jack Daniels tuning - it's in 5ths! How do you reach? A simple 1-3-5-6-7 blues walk becomes quite difficult, I would think.

But yes, there are times when I'd like to go a bit lower, not so much to get the lower sound, just sometimes that's where the walking path takes me... 8)

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I shift a bit.

ReplyQuote