Clear all

Doing the new gear dance!

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been practicing through the bass amp and 4x10 cabinet that belongs to the guy who we rent practice space from. I had my GK Backline 600 and 2x10 cabinet at home, ready for gigs. Our lead guitarist was playing through a Sunn head and Marshall half stack and rhythm was using a Vox combo amp. Well, lead guitarist decided to buy a new amp and Marshall half stack and let rhythm guitarist use his old setup. So my puny 2x10 would have looked pathetic, not to mention it's not going to keep up w/ all that guitar noise. Found a nice SWR Workingman's 1x15 on Craigslist the other day for a great price. It looks great supporting my 2x10 and now my amp is running at the full 300 watts!

Bass player for Undercover

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

Good find; SWR makes some really good stuff if you like that sound, and the used gear is usually nicely priced 8)

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm really digging the sound from the SWR and it was definitely within the budget ($150). I can't wait til practice tonight to hear what it will do when turned up. At home, I had my amp around 1.5 and it was rattling the floors.

After loading all this in my car this morning, I learned that I either need to start working out or get some lighter gear! :D

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Oh, yea! Just got back from practice and tried out the new cabinet. 8) Wow! What a difference in sound. Had the full 300 watts cranking, turned up about half way and was moving some air. It had great bottom end, but wasn't muddy at all. Clear tones all the way around.

Watching speaker cones vibrate puts a smile on my face... :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats! It seems you found a great deal!

:D

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Sweet! Sounds like you got a great deal on a good cab.

Is that a GK Backline 600? How are you liking the head?

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Is that a GK Backline 600? How are you liking the head?

Yes it is. I love it, especially now that I'm getting the full 300 watts. It's got a great tone for not much $$. I never use the B channel on it, don't really have a need for a distorted bass sound.

ReplyQuote