Clear all

Drop-D

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@theangelkiss)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey just wanting to know if anyone could tell me how to play in drop d on a bass. I play guitar, but my friend who plays bass, always has to play on the third string to play in key, and if you tune the bass drop d, it sounds too quiet. If anyone could give me some insight it would be much appreciated

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Maybe the amp is too puny to produce the note. I've never had a problem with it. I just tune the E down to a D, like you do on the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

maybe its a problem with the pickup or something? dunno, Does it have adjustable pole pieces (ive never actually seen a bass with adjustable pole pieces).

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@theangelkiss)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Not sure if it has adjustable pole pieces. Well Its probably just the setup he uses. I just wondered if tuning the E down to a D is a normal step. Ill have him try that and maybe use a different amp. A bigger one. Thanks for the tips.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

He might also just get an extension bass cab with a 15 or maybe 4 10s. I low tuned a Rick once (BEAD), and though the strings were a little flappy, it still sounded pretty good. Might be the speakers not big enough, could be the E string got 'used' to being in E and is false being tuned down, could be the string should be larger.

ReplyQuote
(@theangelkiss)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Im pretty sure the guitar is all good. I think its probably just the amp/speaker combo. Hes playing through 1 12" sub so id imagine that the sub just cant handle the low tones.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

A 12" sub should be fine with a D. I don't know what the problem could be.

ReplyQuote