Clear all

few bass related questions

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@jonemuse)
Topic starter  

Hi,
For those who primarily play the bass,what made you choose bass over guitar?And do you find bass more challenging because of the open strums?And overall which is difficult to play bass or guitar.

buy r4i

Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Hi Jonemuse,

I picked up the bass because 30 years ago there was a bass job open in a band. As much as I love the "straight" guitar, I continue to find electric bass guitar a more satisfying instrument to play with other people, especially when you find the right drummer. That bass-drums relationship can be a hard thing to explain in words -- it can be real close & special.

Playing in a rhythm section isn't for everybody. I myself am happy to give the spotlight to any guitarist who cares to take it, if I'm playing with the right percussionist.

Bass presents different challenges from guitar, but not all that different. The longer scale length & fat strings on bass are odd at first, but you get used to it. The amps are heavier. :lol:

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I chose bass because bass players are usually cooler than guitarists. :D I played guitar first and thought I would get a bass for recording. Since the day I brought it home and played the first note, I've been hooked. I've never been a flashy guitar player, usually sticking to chords and such. Basically, a good rhythm player. Bass is even closer to the rhythm and, in my opinion, challenges me more than rhythm guitar. I knew how to make chords and could have figured out which notes were the 1, 3 and 5 (or whatever notes are in the chord you are playing) if you asked, but w/ bass I am actively thinking about it and know which notes of which chord I am playing at pretty much all times. I'm thinking about how to move tonally from one chord to the next rather than just picking my fingers up and making the next chord.

Other things I love...
1. I love not having to search for lost picks all the time (I do occasionally as I use a pick for a few songs)
2. I can tune quicker because I only have 4 or 5 strings.
3. Whenever we want to do something in drop D, while the guitarists are tuning down, I can drink beer because I have a 5 string and go all the way down to a low B.
4. 450 watt amp + 1x15 + 2x10 = :note1: :shock: :twisted:
5. Don't have to change strings very often (but see #2 below)

Disadvantages...
1. Heavier amps/cabs like Crow mentioned
2. Expensive strings. I used to just try out new guitar strings on a whim cause they were $5 a set. A set of flats runs at least $35, $50 for 5 string. I pretty much stick to the ones I know I like. At least I don't have to change them very often.
3. Small stage w/ 2 guitarists? Bass player goes to the back.
4. Someone says "Oh, you play bass? Play me a song!" and you better know a few songs with very well known bass lines. My son got home from work Saturday and we were planning on recording "Wonderful Tonight" that afternoon. I was sitting on the couch playing and he said "what song was that?" It was "Wonderful Tonight" :roll:

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Good comment from Crow; "different challenges from guitar" is right ... I think of them as different instruments that can serve different purposes, and I don't play bass the way I play guitar, or vice versa.

To me, bass bridges the gap between guitar and drums. It can be strictly rhythmic, it can be percussive, and it can be very melodic.

Bass is probably easier to learn for a beginner (fewer strings! :roll: ), but I think it's equally difficult to master.

JWMartin makes a good point about intervals. After three years on bass I am much more "theory aware" than when I had the same level of experience on guitar.

If someone says "play a song on bass" I'd do Blackbird.

Oh, 500 watt Eden head = 4.3 lbs and fits in a gig bag with room to spare.
That's my home/practice amp. :twisted:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Oh, 500 watt Eden head = 4.3 lbs and fits in a gig bag with room to spare.
That's my home/practice amp. :twisted:

Where's the envy smiley? :D I've been lusting after the newer Gallien Kreuger MB series. 500 watt head weighing 3 lbs 12 oz. It's like 11"x2"x8". The cabinets are still behemoths though, unless you go straight into PA.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The cabinets are still behemoths though, unless you go straight into PA.

The new GK Neo-II cabs are REALLY nice and relatively lightweight. Supposedly a big improvement for GK in the Neo speaker space compared with their earlier offerings. I have the new 112 for home / neighborhood jamming. Every time I pick it up I'm amazed at how light it is! Mates very well with the Eden head tonewise, too.

I do like the GK sound, but the MB-500 had some serious issues when it first came out. I think they've resolved the problems, but they were heavily discussed (and dissed) over at Talkbass. The mini (but high power) Class D amps from Markbass and Genz Benz seem most popular, and now SWR has a really interesting offering with a tube preamp.

My church rig is a Tech21 VT Bass pedal => GK 400RB => old Hartke 410XL cab + 18" PA sub. If I had a better soundman, I'd just use the VT Bass pedal direct. That is the ultimate portable mini-rig of doom!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I've been playing guitar (rhythm guitar) for just about two years, and bass for just about one month. So don't think I'm putting on airs being so new at both. Right from the start I wanted to learn bass eventually; I consider the low end the natural and logical complement to rhythm guitar. Though this thread doesn't specifically apply to me because I intend to play guitar and bass equally as much as possible, I thought I'd throw out a different view.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Honestly, I think because in 1978 I saw the Stranglers in concert and thought Jean Jacques Burnel, their bass player, was the coolest person on the planet. Since then I've supported them twice and I still pretty much think so.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I always wanted to play bass for the simple reason I wanted to be able to play EVERYTHING on my own songs; rhythm, lead, keys, bass, drums. I consider myself a fairly decent rhythm guitarist, still a bit weak on lead, reasonably competent at putting a bass line together, very basic keyboard skills, and just about able to programme a drum section. On my keyboard.

I didn't find it too hard to pick up bass - I'd been playing guitar for quite a while before I ventured into the world of four strings. What I did find, almost immediately, was it was far easier to jam along with CD's playing bass than playing rhythm - find the root notes first, then start thinking about maybe adding fills and licks.

Rhythm will always be my main instrument, though, as much as I enjoy playing bass; one thing I CAN NOT do is play bass and sing at the same time. I've tried and tried, but singing one melody line and playing a different melody line is impossible for me.

BTW, agree with Helgi 100% - I always loved that deep-down, growly, recorded-at-the-bottom-of-a-well sound that JJB got when he was with the Stranglers. That's the tone/sound I always want to dial in!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It started a couple of years ago, hear at GN, in a collaboration. I had to play some fills with my guitar over the bass. Then I started to listen the bass in the songs and... It was like a open door.

To me the guitar is more challenging for a "medium level". All the instruments are challenging to master, guitar, bass or whistle. Perhaps I have a flair for bass or perhaps the years of guitar helped to me.

I got a lot of fun with the bass and I also learnt more on theory and chord composition and I also learnt the tone is in the fingers (although I had read and heard about it).

ReplyQuote