Notifications
Clear all

Finger Tips Hurt :(

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lethaldosage)
Topic starter  

I'm new to bass, been playing for a few days, and a few random times in the past, I also play guitar, so now I'm getting used to thicker strings...

At this point, my fingers themselves don't hurt, but the skin on the tip of the index finger on my left hand does (from fretting primarily with that finger) and also the skin on the tip of the index finger of my right hand, from popping, and also just using my fingers to pluck...

I think it's primarily from too much friction from my fingers to the strings...

My question is: will my fingers become conditioned to the point where the skin doesn't feel bruised?

Also, my thumb kind of hurts from slapping, but that dies down within a few hours...

Thanks.

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hey LD, yes all of the pain will eventually go away, and you will build up callouses.

But take a moment to try and play with less force.  Let your amp do the work.  If your string height is set correctly, you should be able to fret, pluck, and slap with only a minimal force.  Learning to practicing this early is a good idea, because it's hard to untrain your fingers.

Have Fun!
Laz

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'm with laz , calm down and let your amp do the work your tone will be much better,and just keep at it your fingers will tuffen up.

ReplyQuote
(@mike-green)

I also get finger pains sometimes when playing bass. I moved from playing an electric guitar to playing bass so my fingers were kinda used to steel strings, that was until I saw the size of the bass ones.

You'll get used to the pain eventually and like the others have said, you'll fingers will toughen up.

Keep at it dude,

M  8)

ReplyQuote