Notifications
Clear all

Fingers

19 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

If you keep your left elbow close to your body while you're fretting low notes, it will put your wrist at an unaturally sharp angle (which *will* lead to repeat stress injury. I can vouch for that one).
Practice keeping your elbow farther out (especially while going for those low notes).
Keep your wrist as straight as possible, and remember to pull from your your back."

/Kalle

I find this business about the elbow critical for freedom of movement and flexibilty.
Re. the thumb position. Kalle, when you say 'along' the neck do you mean parallel to the neck? I.E with the top of the thumb pointing more towards the headstock?
That's what I find myself doing, but I'm curious if it's a good habit.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@peejay)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It does sound like bringing out the elbow more will help with the bad counter-clockwise wrist turning. 8)

I think I'll try that fretting-with-no-thumb exercise on the page Kalle linked, too. Seems like it should at least point me in the right direction for figuring out whether my thumb is doing too much work.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Boxboy
"top of the thumb pointing more towards the headstock? "
Yes, thats what I mean.
And the pictures in link shows it also.
/Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Great link, Kalle. Thanks.
That's pretty much what I've been doing. Though it was borne out of necessity. Don't have the biggest hands, so I had to find more efficient ways to do things!
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2