Clear all

Fingers or Pick?

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@thecuz)
Topic starter  

How about a little poll:

Are you primarily a finger or pick player?

In the band I am currently in, the mighty "Codpiece", I generally use a pick. Our sound is sorta the Smithereens ran into Pink Floyd in a multi vehicle accident.

I used to play more finger style when I was in a Rushish trio.

(@corbind)
Noble Member

Even when I used to play bass I used a pick.  Only play fingerstyle if I can't find a pick or to be different.  Still always played better with a pick.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

use pick if you need a sound with more attack but fingers give more control..listen to bassist like steve harris of iron maiden or geedy lee of rush

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I switch between a pick and a five fingered style.  I like to use my fingers for chords since I don't like the sound of a strum (I can't pluck all the strings at once with a pick), but palm muting is fun, and I need a pick for that.   There's not much tonal difference for me since I have to use my classical guitar nails when I use my fingers.

Gasb, I've got to disagree with you about picks having less control.  It's true that there are fewer great bassists who are pickers (I can't actually think of any), but I'd still say they both offer equal control.  Take the guitar for example.  There are amazing guitarists who use fingers, but also amazing guitarists who use picks.  Ney Mello comes to mind.  I don't see why it shouldn't be the same for bass.

ReplyQuote
(@woodenfret)
Trusted Member

Damn!

A pick!?  :'( Use your fingers and your nails! You'll have 5 picks instead!  :o

And tell me... how can you slap a bass string with a pick?  ???

Slap & tap it!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

But nails don't sound as fat as a pick.  They just won't do when you need an extremely obese sound.

ReplyQuote
(@deroy)

I say it all just depends on what kind of attack you are trying to get. I think they both have their places.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

That's exctly what I was saying.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

It's not often I write anything in here, but every time I've used a bass I use my fingers.

My son plays bass, and he's a fingers fan, too.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@deroy)

If you're primarily a guitar player, Alan, like I have always been, I can see why you prefer the fingers. If you are used to playing guitar with a pick, it's a refreshing change in sound and technique to use fingers on a bass. I was so accustomed to the sound of the guitar that when I picked up the bass I wanted a whole new sound and feel. I love the sound of a well-played bass with fingers.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I play both bass and lead/rythym guitar.  On bass, I prefer finger picking and on lead/rythym guitar, I mix it up depending on the sound I am going for or what I am doing.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote