Clear all

Funny Guitar Center tidbit...

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So my wife and I were on the road and decided to stop in at the local Guitar Center in the off chance that they might have the newer Fender Bassman 100 combo (the small 25 pound one with the 10" speaker). You never know; the guy I talked to on the phone a few days previous might not have seen it on the inventory screen or they might've gotten a single one in as a floor model.

So the amp-guy looks it up after I describe it as being the 'newer' one, not the 60 watt one they recently put out and he takes me to the amp-room where they have all the high end guitar amps; Soldano, Top Hat (maybe?) and of course the Bassman amps. He tells me he has a sweet '68 Fender Bassman head, to which I respond, chuckling, "What is it, like a hundren million dollars or something?" to which he didn't smile and said, "Well, it's not that bad..."

But I said, "No, I need an 'actual' bass amp. A combo. I'm a bass player..." I think maybe the music was blasting too loud or he kept assuming I was a rock (or blues) guitar guy. Which is fine, because I play guitar AND bass, but this time I wanted just an actual 'bass guitar amp' to play a bass guitar through. For me at least that means no tubes, clean tone...light.

I guess in GC, if you're a bassist, you'd be over by the Ampeg SVTs and whatnot, and not be asking for a 'Fender Bassman.'

Hehehe, like a guy with my kind of back is going to be carting around even the Ampeg combos let alone the 8x10.

We left the store after that, with - I think - the guy still wondering about what I was asking for. The guy on the phone I'd talked to at least knew the model I was referring to, but this guy didn't see it on his screen so assumed it didn't exist.

My wife didn't get why I was saying stuff "Actual bass amp" and "I'm an 'actual' bass player." until I explained how long the history and model configurations are for "Fender Bassman."

It's still kinda funny even this morning. :)

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

it is true, no one working at GC knows what they're talking about.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Hum, that's funny. I can't actually ever get any of the GC guys to talk to me, period. At least the Sam Ash guys will say hello and ask how you are doing.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

You have really peaked my curiosity about the history of the Bassman. I have a Bassman 60 watt combo that I play bass through. I've also read that some of the guys like Clapton played Strats though Bassmans. If you don't mind, I'd really like to know the history you eluded to. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

For laughs, you can check this list out at Harmony-Central.com. It lists at least 'most' of the Fender Bassman amps that have been made through the years. As you'll see there's a bunch of different Fender bass amps using the name "Bassman." That's the real problem I was having - oh I finally got one by the way, from Music123.com - was trying to talk to this fellow at the store, using the name Bassman, and him thinking I was referring to one of the 'classic, all-tube, good-for-blues' Fender Bassman amps from the 50s and 60s. Some of the Bassman amps were solid-state, most were tube, and it's the tube ones the guitarists love because of their warm overdriven sound.

--Which is exactly what I DON'T want while playing bass; quite the opposite. I want a clean, clear sound, and that's pretty much what I got from the one I bought.

It really IS wonderfully light to carry though.

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member

Hum, that's funny. I can't actually ever get any of the GC guys to talk to me, period. At least the Sam Ash guys will say hello and ask how you are doing.

I've actually had the opposite experience. The GC guys have always been relatively knowledgable and polite (until recently) and the Sam Ash guys have always been very arrogant.

And while we're on the subject, the GC near me has this 5 minute jam policy. Whats up with that? I mean I know why they have it, but it sucks. Is this common to all GCs?

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

The one near me has a 2 minute jam for the drum sets, but I don't know of any limitation on guitar or bass playing. It does get loud sometimes. though, and it's hard to hear yourself.

I'm not sure about the other instruments, but I don't think that they have a limit either, except maybe the turntables? I can't remember.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@classic_rock_kid08)
Trusted Member

the other day my guitarist and I stopped in at guitar center. He grabbed a $1500 guitar, I grabbed a $1000 bass (we picked up the ones we really want to buy someday), and we both plugged into 2x12 ~150w amps, turned it up about half way, and played.

We played for 2 HOURS! and nobody stopped us. about 10 people told us to keep playing. We had fun.

Music is one of the most powerful forces on this planet, why not put it to use?
Brandon Pace
http://www.brandonmpace.com

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

blutic1:
The "fender Bassman" amp was originally created alongside the 51 P-Bass. It was a 50w 4x10" open-backed combo that was meant for playing bass along with unmiked horns and pianos. Eventually guitarists started using it cranked, and it is now a classic. Fender made a 50w bassman head in the 60's that was used for both bass and guitar, along with various other "bassmans" through the years. Currently, Fender makes a reissue of the original, along with various solid-state bass combos called "bassmans".

ReplyQuote