Notifications
Clear all

begginer bass reccomendation

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@renko369)
Topic starter  

OK recently I found an old acoustic guitar of my dad's. I had always had some slight interest in playin but I had never really gotten around to it. So I picked it up and looked up some lessons on the internet. Ive really been enjoyin it, although Im not that good. But my friends have a band, and they already have too many guitar players, however, they dont have a bass player. so, becuase of taht, and other reasons as well, Ive decided to get a bass. But when I started lookin around for basses I realized that they are alot of choices. ALOT. and I really dont know the difference between a $100 bass or a $500 dollar one.
So what Id like a reccomendation for is: a begginer bass guitar, maximum price, $500, preferrably less. I want something that sounds decent, but more importantly, is nice and easy to play. I also really want it to be cool lookin. I dont want it lookin like every other kid's bass, I want something kinda weird and stylish lookin.
Any recomendations, or advice?

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I'm very fond of my Squier bass. Ibanez has some nice ones as well, which may have a more appealing shape to you. Ibanez Iceman basses are cool, although a new one might be a little closer to $500 than you'd like. Used instruments are often good buys. You should be able to find a good bass for around $300, or even less if you're lucky.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Maybe this will help...

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=163

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@renko369)
Topic starter  

thanks for the help guys. That article was real helpfull. The squiers were a little too plain looking for me. I liked the ibanezes alot though. When I go to my local guitar shop Ill see if they have a used one.

oh and a question: Are fretless basses alot harder to play? cuase they look alot cooler in my opinion, but I dont know if it would be really hard to do or what.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

They do have a steeper learning curve since you have to put your fingers in exactly the right place, but they're not harder otherwise. I don't know what it's like to start on a fretless since I didn't switch until I'd been playing for a little while. Some people might think it's a bad move to start on one, but I don't really think so. When you're new you play easier songs and you can learn to play in tune at the same time, instead of switching after you're playing harder material and struggling to make it sound like you could on a fretted. That's my take anyway. String players all start on fretless instruments.

I say that if you want to play fretless you should, but you should be aware that you'll have to work on intonation as well as all the things a fretted player has to learn. Definitely try both kinds to see if playing fretless is something you think you can learn to do.

ReplyQuote
(@renko369)
Topic starter  

OK thanks. Im heading over to my local guitar store later this week. I will try out a bunch of stuff while Im there. See what I like and what I dont.

ReplyQuote
(@millard)

If you play guitar and like playing guitar, you may want to consider a short-scale bass. It's much closer in size to a guitar and moving between the two can be easier.

You can probably find Fender Mustangs and MusicMasters or Epiphone Rumblekats used for well under $500. I have been toying with selling my Fender Mustang, so if this approach interests you, feel free to PM or email me. I have it listed over at TalkBass.com ( http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191851 ).

Millard

ReplyQuote
(@schecter)
Eminent Member

get a schecter! i love mine

http://www.schecterguitars.com/menu_guitars.asp?guitartype=2

keep in mind the real price is like 300 less than the msrp

"I’m one of those lucky beginners who never actually makes a mistake." - Chris_C

ReplyQuote