Bass amp & cabinet

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Liam
(@liam)
Topic starter  

Hi there,

I play bass now for just over a year on a small combo amp.
A friend of mine got a rehearsel room at his house where we can play. I only got a question about my amp & cabinet combo.

I got a marshall DBS 7200 head, and my uncle gave me a cabinet. I just don't know if it will work togheter.

The cabinet is an Marshall model 1550, 15inch bass speaker (an old one i think?) with 8 ohms and 250w r.m.s.

So my question is, will this work togheter? On the back of my amp there is a sign which says 4 ohms minimum. So will a single 8ohms speakercabinet work? I read something about it on the marshall site but i don't really understand it.

Thnx..

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

That should be fine.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@liam)
Topic starter  

Do i need any special cables or something to connect the two, or does any cable will do the job? There are normal jacks at the rear of both the AMP and the cabinet.

Update

It didn't go very well.... i played it for 5 minutes or something like that when it really began to smell odd.

I switched it off.... could see a very little cloud of white smoke.... so i think it is not so good after all? What could it be? I used a cable of a friend who has got a head and cabinet as well....

Maybe it has something to do with the ohms? Or could there be some sort of short circuit within the cabinet or the amp?

ReplyQuote
(@flipstrings)

as far as I know you do need a proper head to cabinet lead..........are you sure he/she is not using an ordinary instrument cable?

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@liam)
Topic starter  

as far as I know you do need a proper head to cabinet lead..........are you sure he/she is not using an ordinary instrument cable?

As far as i know it is a proper cable.

I plugged it into the other speaker outlet and now it works without a problem. I don't know why it didn't. The cable itself is pretty thick. I took a measure of my speaker (saying it was 8 Ohms) but when i measured it, it was only 7 Ohms..... ??? Anyone got a clue or is this just because of the measurement results?

Well, 7 Ohms is above 4 so i don't expect any problems now.. Anyway i also found a marshall dealer, and i think i'm going to get my head over there just for a check up....

Thanks for all the help guys!

ReplyQuote